Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really think I'm no longer getting updates...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick background; December 12, 2018 delivery AP 2.5 MCU 2 Model S 75D.

I've been on 2018.49.20 since I got it; the only update I ever received was when after reporting that I was having "Vehicle surround view limited" messages, a Mobile Ranger pushed a firmware update to my car, but it was just a re-flash of 2018.49.20.

I have very good WiFi connectivity all day and all night both at work and at home.

Every time I call Tesla, they tell me 2018.49.20 is the latest.
The Service Center tells me 2018.49.20 is the "latest for my car".
I've done live chat - same answer, "you're on the latest".
We all know the above is not true.

"Stats" reports 4.4% of Model S on this version;
TeslaFi reports 1.3% of all cars on this version.

I've called, I've visited the SC; and I keep getting told this is the "latest for my car". (I had my car in for other reasons and asked them to update; they did not, and would not. Said I had to wait for my 'vin batch'. But this is getting ridiculous.)

Have asked about this by form in my tesla account 3 times, and have had zero response.

I feel like for one, I've been blocked from updates for some reason, and two, something's being hidden from me since they keep saying this is the latest.

What's even more concerning is that when I call Tesla they seem to be convinced I'm on 2018.48.12. When I tell them I'm most certainly not, they seem to act like I don't know what I'm talking about. I tell them again: I see it right here in the app and on the screen -- 2018.49.20 -- and they act like I just must be wrong or can't read.

I've tried: Switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz, rebooting the computers, re-connecting to the wifi access points, connecting to *different* access points (at work), and parking closer to where I know the access points are (I get a full signal strength meter every time.)

I'm at a loss here. It's like I'm either blocked or on the complete opposite of the Early Access Program.

I purchased FSD two days ago; another Model S owner said that that triggered a software update for him. (No such luck here.) - Another even said that he got a message saying "Full self driving update is complete" on his screen (Is that even a thing?) - and I sure didn't see that.

Some people have said to call Mobile Service to try to get them to push an update, but I'm not sure how well a line that's meant for emergencies would respond to a call like that...

I suppose I can continue to wait, and wait, and wait... but I really have a feeling if I do I won't be seeing any more updates. Again, since December, I've never gotten one; I've only had the same version re-pushed by Mobile Service.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Quick background; December 12, 2018 delivery AP 2.5 MCU 2 Model S 75D.

I've been on 2018.49.20 since I got it; the only update I ever received was when after reporting that I was having "Vehicle surround view limited" messages, a Mobile Ranger pushed a firmware update to my car, but it was just a re-flash of 2018.49.20.

I have very good WiFi connectivity all day and all night both at work and at home.

Every time I call Tesla, they tell me 2018.49.20 is the latest.
The Service Center tells me 2018.49.20 is the "latest for my car".
I've done live chat - same answer, "you're on the latest".
We all know the above is not true.

"Stats" reports 4.4% of Model S on this version;
TeslaFi reports 1.3% of all cars on this version.

I've called, I've visited the SC; and I keep getting told this is the "latest for my car". (I had my car in for other reasons and asked them to update; they did not, and would not. Said I had to wait for my 'vin batch'. But this is getting ridiculous.)

Have asked about this by form in my tesla account 3 times, and have had zero response.

I feel like for one, I've been blocked from updates for some reason, and two, something's being hidden from me since they keep saying this is the latest.

What's even more concerning is that when I call Tesla they seem to be convinced I'm on 2018.48.12. When I tell them I'm most certainly not, they seem to act like I don't know what I'm talking about. I tell them again: I see it right here in the app and on the screen -- 2018.49.20 -- and they act like I just must be wrong or can't read.

I've tried: Switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz, rebooting the computers, re-connecting to the wifi access points, connecting to *different* access points (at work), and parking closer to where I know the access points are (I get a full signal strength meter every time.)

I'm at a loss here. It's like I'm either blocked or on the complete opposite of the Early Access Program.

I purchased FSD two days ago; another Model S owner said that that triggered a software update for him. (No such luck here.) - Another even said that he got a message saying "Full self driving update is complete" on his screen (Is that even a thing?) - and I sure didn't see that.

Some people have said to call Mobile Service to try to get them to push an update, but I'm not sure how well a line that's meant for emergencies would respond to a call like that...

I suppose I can continue to wait, and wait, and wait... but I really have a feeling if I do I won't be seeing any more updates. Again, since December, I've never gotten one; I've only had the same version re-pushed by Mobile Service.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Patience.... it’s often better to be in 2nd or 3rd wave while bugs are sorted. As owner since 2013, there were windows where I went many months despite it seeming that everyone else on forums had progressed.

On my 2018, I was on 2018.48.12 since last year and just got 2019.5.15 Sunday. Your experience is normal and you will get an update with much less issues than 1st wave.

Reactions: grantgro83
Patience.... it’s often better to be in 2nd or 3rd wave while bugs are sorted. As owner since 2013, there were windows where I went many months despite it seeming that everyone else on forums had progressed.

On my 2018, I was on 2018.48.12 since last year and just got 2019.5.15 Sunday. Your experience is normal and you will get an update with much less issues than 1st wave.

Ok, well, I'm actually OK with less frustration.... I'm new, still, so, seeing everyone else report updates makes me go 'hmm.'

My only concern really was whether or not people thought something was wrong -- but right away two 2018.49.20 folks responded and you were 2018.48.12 just last week.

So that makes me a bit more assured that things may be OK.

I suppose it doesn't *really* matter since really nothing new has been announced for the S since 2018.49.20 (And I'm guessing that we won't hear anything for the S tomorrow at the Y release.) - just when I saw 1.3% on TeslaFi, I figured something was wrong...

I was stuck on 2018.49.20 too, took delivery of my new S75D back in November last year. I called them up and said what's the deal, and they pushed 2019.5.16 to my car that night. In hindsight it did not get my sentry mode or the enhanced dashcam, which is what I was really hoping for. Instead, now TACC is a little off compared to what it used to be. Oh well...

I'm also still on 2018.49.20 in my 2018 Model S 75D. Took deliver mid last year and have been used to updates about every 3 weeks - but been on this for at least couple months. Not sure the actual date - but does feel like a long time.

One thing I did notice coming home this evening was that the car didn't connect to WiFi when I put it in park. I touched the network icon and it said WiFi was turned off. I turned it on and selected my home network and it asked for the password again. So, not sure how long the car's WiFi may have been turned off somehow. I also noticed some of my configuration settings were different the last couple days - like auto-folding mirrors were turned back on when I had them off for the winter. Maybe some of my configuration settings got lost?

I'm fine with waiting - especially if some are having minor issues with the newer releases - but really looking forward to getting Sentry mode!

I feel your pain. I’ve been stuck on the same version since early January 2019 myself. This is my 2nd Model S and not something I am used to experiencing with my prior vehicle. However, not to worry. I had an on-site Tech tell me he’d never seen this version before who was quite intrigued by it. I believe Tesla at times sends special versions to select VIN’s to vet behind-the-scene features it is working on deploying to the larger fleet. And, they need data to do this. Only a small number of Model S vehicles are running this version so this makes sense to me. I do not believe you are being singled out and somehow being ignored or penalized. Tesla will push an update so just be patient. Hopefully all of us on 49.20 will find ourselves pleasantly surprised moving forward. At least that’s my expectation.

I am sure they are not planing on a major rollout before end of the quarter; Since every employee is tasked with Delivery Priority -1 , if we are i the queue for GA version of a release this would most probably be only 2nd week of April or later...

I bought M3P on April 1, received an update two weeks later. Then for month and a half no updates have been coming in. I knew that Tesla had released a new update in May but it was June 3 and still nothing was pushed to my car. Not even a notification that update was trying to be downloaded.

Then I visited Tesla service where they checked their logs and lo and behold, an update was tried to be pushed to my vehicle 4 times with an interval of few days until it ceased (I guess there is a limit to how many times it tries). Again, no notifications anywhere even though a tech told me I should have received it. Long story short, he reset my car by disconnecting 12V battery clamp under frunk and another one under right back passenger seat. He waited for 5 minutes and attached the clamps back. 20 minutes later an update came through both to my car and to my Tesla app.

Hope this helps anyone.

With our 2017 S, we've had a couple of times when software updates failed, including one time when we didn't receive any notifications and had to call Tesla's phone support to find out updates were failing and that we would need a Service Center visit to start receiving updates again.

While Musk indicated owners would (eventually) get more control over software updates, possibly even able to request updates to be sent to the vehicle, we're not at that point yet.

Tesla goes through a seemingly random distribution process - making it difficult to know when a specific vehicle will be scheduled for an update.

Vehicles can go several months between updates. Owners should be concerned only if it appears everyone else has received an update. Though usually what happens is that it will take months after a new release starts distribution before all vehicles get the update.

Hopefully Tesla will continue to improve the recently added software update features and provide more information about availability of new updates and provide owners more control over getting those updates to their vehicles.