TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rear 22" OEM rim on front of X ??

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by rekoh, May 23, 2017.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

Questions for the group - I have an opportunity to buy 4 rear 22" Tesla rims. .. don't ask me why, but the guy has only rear rims for sale. That being said, I am considering putting the larger (10" i believe) rims all the way around the car. I have *heard* that if you put the larger tires (285) on the larger rims, they will rub in the front of the vehicle. The seller says I can put the smaller (265 vs 285) tires on the front rims and that will work. The rims are about 3/4 inch different in size.
    Any insights, thoughts, experience, or expertise would be appreciated..

Here are my concerns:
    1) The bead of the smaller tire (265) on a larger (10") rim on the front could cause blowout, leak,whatever..
    2) Larger rims on the front will compromise brake system or components up front
    3) I am not worried about range

Thanks TMC !

2. rekoh

rekoh Member

*Update*
    TireRack says the tire (265) will definitely fit the rim, but will make the car handle differently since the sidewall (stretchy-ness?) will be different from front to rear, and the front being tighter? will potentially lead to oversteer situations.. they don't recommend doing it.

• Informative x 1
  3. rekoh

rekoh Member

another thought....
    Could you put 265 tires on the 22" rims all around to keep the sidewall consistent, and allow for proper tire rotation?

4. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

Even if you could, I've never gone with narrower (even though 265 isn't necessarily narrow) tires. It'll probably affect your handling, but as to how much, I don't know.

5. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

I had the rear left 20 on my front left side (shop messed up) 275 vs 265 and it rubbed. Caused damage and 5 days in the shop. Best to ask Tesla first

6. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

If there wouldn't be any damage, I'd imagine oversteer could potentially be nice when cruising. Steering wheel selection could play or balance this too.