Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear air suspension not responsive

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
No luck. I’m thinking my height sensors just so happened to die during the movement of installing the new lowering links. I can get the set on eBay for $100. Much cheaper next step than a $175 min. at Tesla.
Agree. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the error will resolve itself in a day or two.

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pasadena
Driving the car in my lot and it’s bouncing around in back like a low rider. It’s stuck in Jack mode in the back, probably bc it was in Jack mode for 4 days, and it’s a 2012 with 200,000 miles. I’m gonna hold off on buying parts and see if Tesla can force level the car at my SC appt. I’ll post the results.

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pasadena
The car is no different than when it arrived on the tow truck. They want $1423 to replace my adjustable rear camber arms with OEM rear camber arms. That’s all they came up with. Frustrating.
I spoke to the tech who said the guy working on my car just dismissed it as aftermarket parts related error. After discussing nicely, he agreed to reevaluate. Considering the car hasn’t been in Jack mode since my drive unit and rear subframe was replaced by Tesla, I’m assuming they might find the issue in how the car was reassembled.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
The car is no different than when it arrived on the tow truck. They want $1423 to replace my adjustable rear camber arms with OEM rear camber arms. That’s all they came up with. Frustrating.
I spoke to the tech who said the guy working on my car just dismissed it as aftermarket parts related error. After discussing nicely, he agreed to reevaluate. Considering the car hasn’t been in Jack mode since my drive unit and rear subframe was replaced by Tesla, I’m assuming they might find the issue in how the car was reassembled.
Default answer to blame the aftermarket part vs looking at the height sensors?!?! Argh...

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pasadena
It seems the Camber King camber arms are to blame. I ordered EV Tuning rear camber arms and I got new level sensor brackets for good measure. Will install and *hopefully* find that the incorrect location for the leveling links has been to blame all the while. What an expensive mistake!

Reactions: quickstrike12

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
It seems the Camber King camber arms are to blame. I ordered EV Tuning rear camber arms and I got new level sensor brackets for good measure. Will install and *hopefully* find that the incorrect location for the leveling links has been to blame all the while. What an expensive mistake!
Ah, you didn’t mention that you installed both the arms and lowering links at the same time.
Did you line up the lowering link attachment point to be identical to the stock camber arms? That is, did you lay them side by side and then adjust the camber king arms to the same length as stock as well as position the lowering link ball joint to the same equivalent position as stock? Should just adjust that position and you should be good to go.
Lastly, you don’t have your stock arms to swap back in by yourself? It’s a very simple job...
Either way, hope you’re back to whole one way or another quickly. I hate it when “simple” things end up being a royal PITA.

Reactions: BostonBurley

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pasadena
Ah, you didn’t mention that you installed both the arms and lowering links at the same time.
Did you line up the lowering link attachment point to be identical to the stock camber arms? That is, did you lay them side by side and then adjust the camber king arms to the same length as stock as well as position the lowering link ball joint to the same equivalent position as stock? Should just adjust that position and you should be good to go.
Lastly, you don’t have your stock arms to swap back in by yourself? It’s a very simple job...
Either way, hope you’re back to whole one way or another quickly. I hate it when “simple” things end up being a royal PITA.
The camber king arms were matching length to oem arms down to 1-2mm. Leveling ball joint was exact length as oem (centered). However, the height of the arm is considerably higher (taller?) than the oem arm. Even if you try to adjust the sleeve in/out or twist it to be closer to oem position, you’ll find that you can never replicate oem position.
I’ve had oem links the entire time except for 12 hours with the apguys links, so that wasn’t the issue.
The camber arms from UP, EvTuning and N2itive all use basically the same design where adjustments are made on just one side, keeping the leveling ball in place just like an oem one.
They told me similar things like this have happened and just a smidge of bending the leveling brackets made it work. Seems like a finicky system. One aluminum bracket is $28, and is unnecessarily flimsy. If it’s so precise and constantly on the brink of failure, wouldn’t you want to make the parts able to maintain precision during normal alignment related work? I’m always disappointed in Tesla as a brand and as a service center, and this experience so far validates my opinion. Either way it’ll be next week before I receive the camber arms and go through the process a third or fourth time.

Reactions: Doanster1

pabla

Oct 17, 2016
Vancouver
The camber king arms were matching length to oem arms down to 1-2mm. Leveling ball joint was exact length as oem (centered). However, the height of the arm is considerably higher (taller?) than the oem arm. Even if you try to adjust the sleeve in/out or twist it to be closer to oem position, you’ll find that you can never replicate oem position.
I’ve had oem links the entire time except for 12 hours with the apguys links, so that wasn’t the issue.
The camber arms from UP, EvTuning and N2itive all use basically the same design where adjustments are made on just one side, keeping the leveling ball in place just like an oem one.
They told me similar things like this have happened and just a smidge of bending the leveling brackets made it work. Seems like a finicky system. One aluminum bracket is $28, and is unnecessarily flimsy. If it’s so precise and constantly on the brink of failure, wouldn’t you want to make the parts able to maintain precision during normal alignment related work? I’m always disappointed in Tesla as a brand and as a service center, and this experience so far validates my opinion. Either way it’ll be next week before I receive the camber arms and go through the process a third or fourth time.
Hopefully this works out for you! Sounds like the camber arms may have been the culprit

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Ah, the hexagonal tubing of the Camber King arms is prob why the link ball joint can’t match OEM position. Again, sorry you’re going through this, but you definitely saved my arse as I was going to get the same arms. Now waiting for EV Tuning to build/deliver.

Reactions: BostonBurley

BostonBurley

Jan 13, 2021
South Pasadena
Ah, the hexagonal tubing of the Camber King arms is prob why the link ball joint can’t match OEM position. Again, sorry you’re going through this, but you definitely saved my arse as I was going to get the same arms. Now waiting for EV Tuning to build/deliver.
Ev Tuning showed in stock? I ordered Friday morning but haven’t heard anything. They’re in Florida. If they are gonna take weeks to arrive I’ll have to cancel and get UP, which is here in LA.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC