Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first tesla was the Roadster, It was a little too small so I sold it but it was the only vehicle I sold for more than I paid for it. I sold it to the guy that owns the Sponge Daddy Company. He had the same car in the non sport and wanted mine so it went down the road, Wish I still had it. I bought a 2013 P85+ and then a 2014 P85+. We can never keep tires on these cars. The 2013 the rear camber was so bad I had to put after market upper control arms on it so we could adjust the camber because we were only getting about 3000 miles out of set of tires before the inner edge was on the cords. The Drive unit went out under warranty so we took a hit for 7000 dollars for a new drive unit because it had a ground fault in the unit. We get the car back after the repair and we are told they cannot do an alignment because it has after market upper control arms. Now mind you the car will not operate with out this after market part but they will not align the vehicle and they would not adjust the ride level. The new after market upper control arms have an adjustable collar for the ride height sensor and they had them at the highest adjustment because they left them loose and they slid all the way down making the car think it was too high so we had to drive it home bottoming out. I did not get the memo because I was letting my kid drive it and he just turns up the music so it was driven like that for 100 miles or so before I saw it low riding!! I removed the wheels and made the adjustments in minutes and tightened up the set screws. Fast forward to today and we have an X plaid. We still have the 2 P85+ cars and I have a truck on order. We just got back from a trip to Nashville in the X. I had plenty of time charging which we are used to. I had not been used to paying for charging as my P85+ cars are free to charge. With all of the time in the charging stations about 2 hours up and 2 hours back and being a Math nut. I started doing the math. Turns out the electric charge was equivalent to 12-13 cents per mile. Most ICE vehicles are doing 10 cents per mile right now. So that was not very exciting. Certainly charging at home is much better and I don't plan on doing many trips in the X again. Here is the fun part. We get home from the trip and the wife says she has a flat on the left rear. Which is handy that the TPS actually works because on the two P85+ cars they failed early and were awful and remain failed. My son and I remove the tire for inspection of bolt or screw because these cars are like magnets for flats because of their weight. When we get the wheel off we find that outside of the tire is no where near the wear bars and the inside of the tire is so worn you can see the air in the tire! I have never seen this much cords showing. I am so thankful it did not pop on us during the trip and either strand me or wreck me. We then examined the passenger side rear. It was on the cords too on the inside of the tire. I gave the vehicle a brief examination and did not see an adjustment on the upper control arm. I am hoping there is something to bring the top of the tire out and get ride of the negative camber. I am a huge fan, I own three and I have had four Teslas and I have the truck on order. I have to literally keep a tire store in my garage. I have my floor jack and torque wrench ready to go with mounted spares and back ups. We took the vehicle to Goodyear today and they mounted my set of Michelins I had in stock. We have to bring the car to the service center for other issues next week. They will not mount tires you do not buy from them so we did not bother bringing it to them today. We kept the back tires to show them and see if they will work the Camber issues out under warranty. It is sad that the amazing engineers there have figured out how to deal with the weight of the vehicle and the fact that the suspension travel creates negative camber or something is seriously wrong! I am giving them benefit of the doubt that are missing the fact that this is dynamic issue and not a static issue, however I can not be the only one that cannot keep tires on my Telsas? I bought the Plaid with 20 inch wheels because I figured they would last longer than my 21's on the Model S I have. Apparently that did not work. Sorry for the rant, just curious if anyone else is having the same issues?

Attachments

• IMG_8668.jpg
    IMG_8668.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_8669.jpg
    IMG_8669.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8670.jpg
    IMG_8670.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8672.jpg
    IMG_8672.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 158
There are a lot of folks with this problem. I installed Hardrace camber arms and solved the problem on my 2020 S performance with 21" wheels. There are a number of camber and Toe arm providers for the S and X. Hardrace has the best price in an easily adjusted and durable arm IMHO.

i have a 2022 model x plaid with the 20 inch wheels and tires. I have 13,000 miles on the car and the rear inner tires are almost bald. The middle and out side tires are fine with lots of life left and the front tires are fine. Its just the rear very inside of the tires.

i have a 2022 model x plaid with the 20 inch wheels and tires. I have 13,000 miles on the car and the rear inner tires are almost bald. The middle and out side tires are fine with lots of life left and the front tires are fine. Its just the rear very inside of the tires.

Welcome to Model X ownership I guess? All that gasoline savings will go into tires and higher insurance.

Something something something... MACSBOOST makes a camber kit.

My Model X rear camber is perfect, no excessive tire wear. My Model S is terrible. I finally installed a set of adjustment arms and toe links. Wow, amazing, such an improvement, and the ride is so quiet now that the tires aren't being ripped to shreds.
Tesla wont touch those for adjustments, however, I still have tesla do front end alignments. No one else seems to get the front end right. As for rear, an independent shop near me did a great job.

My Model X rear camber is perfect, no excessive tire wear. My Model S is terrible. I finally installed a set of adjustment arms and toe links. Wow, amazing, such an improvement, and the ride is so quiet now that the tires aren't being ripped to shreds.
Tesla wont touch those for adjustments, however, I still have tesla do front end alignments. No one else seems to get the front end right. As for rear, an independent shop near me did a great job.
I wonder what’s up with the front that an Indy can’t do the fronts.

To be honest, it shouldn't be a problem. For some reason, They never get it right, steering wheel not centered. On the flip side, the local service center always nails it on front end. Just wont touch the after market links.
Better than my sc. won’t touch anything related to suspension if only rears are modded. They gave me a hard time with wrong tire size on aftermarket wheels…