Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Axel Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

My 2014S with 64000 miles has developed a whine and knocking/rubbing sounds while decelerating and turning. Telsa service is recommending rear axle and hubs replacement along with the drive unit. The cost for repair for the axles and hubs is around $2100 and drive unit is replaced under warranty. Anyone have similar experience with axles replacements? What are your thoughts on the cost?

Thanks.

Really common, its a knee jerk replacement (half shafts).

I truely wonder what PARTS are going bad, since they just literally swap out the rear end every time this happens. Cost is in-line. You could get them to do the DU alone and source the half shafts yourself for cheaper, but thats up to you.

Really common, its a knee jerk replacement (half shafts).

I truely wonder what PARTS are going bad, since they just literally swap out the rear end every time this happens. Cost is in-line. You could get them to do the DU alone and source the half shafts yourself for cheaper, but thats up to you.

Thanks. They are waiving the labor part since they will be in there for the DU, so I decided to get it done now to save some $$. The prices on eBay for used one are around $600.So with additional labor cost, It may end up being the same at other places

FWIW, I wrote to NTN asking about buying replacement parts for the half shafts and they said have to go through Tesla. And Tesla doesn’t sell the individual parts, just the whole assembly.

Hopefully someone in the trade will figure out how to get replacement boots/ joints/ splines as more cars get older and need it.

And that would be the noise I cannot reproduce for them local to the SC at only 28K miles even though it happens regularly on local roads to me - guess I have to wait for it to get more critical (and hope I'm still in warranty - it'll be getting close I suspect)

I picked up the car yesterday. It took a week to get all the repairs done at Tesla Tysons, VA. The car feels good as new with a new* drive unit and rear axle replacements. The total cost was $2100 with tax.

I am about to replace the rear half shafts and hub bearings on my very own 2013 MS. There is a very sharp click (like dry splines hitting the hub or tranaxle housing). I will first take them out to see if the splines show wear. But I doubt I will want to do it twice. Halfshafts are 800$ and hub bearings assy are 250$ each side. Both sides will run me near 2100$ in parts. Ugh.

Reactions: xAgyex
I am about to replace the rear half shafts and hub bearings on my very own 2013 MS. There is a very sharp click (like dry splines hitting the hub or tranaxle housing). I will first take them out to see if the splines show wear. But I doubt I will want to do it twice. Halfshafts are 800$ and hub bearings assy are 250$ each side. Both sides will run me near 2100$ in parts. Ugh.

I hear ya! Let us know what you discover. I decided to get it done since they waited the labor charge knowing the parts alone are $$$

Jpballer88, good luck with that. Please share some pictures and notes. I have always replaced these on other cars with no issues, but would love to see how it is on the MS. Future planning. These moving parts do have to be replaced over time. I have a CPO 2014 with bumper to bumper warranty still, so hope they go out soon so they can replace them...hahah

I am getting my rear drive unit replaced under warranty and they also recommended the axle replacement, @ a cost of $1000 for parts, labor included. They said it was because they were leaking and eventually would need to be replaced? Should I ask for the hub bearings to be replaced as well? How much would that be in the future if that is an issue? I doubt I'd want all this labor done again but maybe it's not a big issue? Also, does anyone know if they will do an alignment for free or maybe just on the rear wheels? How much does an alignment cost at Tesla anyway? Thanks!

Currently 66k miles