Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Axle Clicking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted $150 this morning for "rear axle maintenance" and was told that it's not a warranty item because it's considered normal wear and tear. Taking it in next week.
What is their shop rate? They were true to their word and it was exactly 1/2 hour of labor. They also advised me not to do it because they couldn't replicate but I assured then I knew what I was talking about. Haven't heard the noise since.

Does anyone have any detailed info on how to do this? Any pictures? Where do I apply the grease exactly?

Is this it?

Attachments

• VUQj0tl.png
    VUQj0tl.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 217
I had this same issue at 140,000 miles. Half shafts were repacked with grease. Noise was gone. Now at 147,000 miles and noise is starting to reappear. I suspect that the torque of the drive motor is too strong for the half shaft design. I have heard about other cars with high horse power engines having similar "clicking" half shaft issues.
I had this issue with my 2020 Model 3 after only ~3-4K miles. Front axles. Mobile tech said he found the axle nuts VERY loose. Tightened and the problem returned a couple months later. SC lubed the axle and the problem returned again in a week. June 2020: the SC replaced the LF axle shaft and the problem is still apparent. Waiting for Tesla COVID restrictions to return AGAIN to SC for diagnosis.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Three trips to Tesla for the same problem, I really also would like information on this, specifically torque values for the nut, do you need to pull the axle from the hub and if so do you need to remove anything like the sway bars to be able to pull the axle from the hub? This is also for a Model 3.

Reactions: navguy12
FYI, I scheduled an out of warranty service center visit for the "clicking" noise. They quoted $87 to fix.

Now, if this really is the noise I've had fixed under warranty on 2 cars, 3 different times. And I have to pay $87 every 50k miles to have it done..... I'm not exactly in a bad mood here. I mean, it's not like the MCU has gone bad, am I right?

Edit: I was also told this by a Tesla insider with regards to that noise.
1. The very first time you hear it, pull off the wheel caps, and crank the axle nut down. Problem solved.
2. If you have been hearing it for a couple weeks. Regrease the splines. Problem solved.
3. If you have been hearing for a few months..... Ehhhh, you probably have some wear by now and if it was under warranty, Tesla would be replacing the splines. So don't let it go on that long.[/QUOT
What is their shop rate? They were true to their word and it was exactly 1/2 hour of labor. They also advised me not to do it because they couldn't replicate but I assured then I knew what I was talking about. Haven't heard the noise since.
I was quotes 600 in Tampa!!!!!

I have it too for some time now and it doesn't seem to be getting worse though. It sounds like there is 'play' or space where maybe grease or lubricant resided formerly to mitigate the play in the splines from what I think I've come to understand although I'm not 100% certain

In my case (Model 3) it turned out to be the hub bearing. Tesla will replace the whole hub. My guess is the axles are fine and they have a bunch of bad bearings out there. A CV joint shouldn't go bad that quick (well neither should a bearing I guess lol)

Hmm, found this thread with search.

My 2013 P85+ rear makes weird clicks when switching between acceleration and regen. Even with very small pedal movements. It's not a single click but a series.. Maybe 5 clicks in few seconds time, and then they stop. But happens every time when you switch from accel to regen.

It's not very loud sound, almost covered by the wheel noise. But still quite audible.

Kind of sounds like tightening a ratchet. click-click-click and then it's tight..

It doesn't make any difference if I'm going straight or in a turn..

I have inspected most of the suspension bushings and replaced the toe links, but it didn't affect it.

My 2013 P85+ rear makes weird clicks when switching between acceleration and regen. Even with very small pedal movements. It's not a single click but a series.. Maybe 5 clicks in few seconds time, and then they stop. But happens every time when you switch from accel to regen.

It's not very loud sound, almost covered by the wheel noise. But still quite audible.

Kind of sounds like tightening a ratchet. click-click-click and then it's tight..

I have inspected most of the suspension bushings and replaced the toe links, but it didn't affect it.

That's what my bad bearing sounded like but it was on a Model 3. I was surprised how much corrosion was on the hub after only 10K miles, I took pics of old/new sides.

Attachments

• PXL_20201103_173411431.jpg
    PXL_20201103_173411431.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 135
  • PXL_20201103_173423526.jpg
    PXL_20201103_173423526.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Zuikkis

Lube the axel splines and retorque the wheel nuts. Problem solved.

It would sure be nice if @ddawson could post some details about that $70 fix; I can't believe a service centre did it for that little as many now are charging $100 or so just to book the car in, unless they already had the suspension apart replacing rear links or something.

It would sure be nice if @ddawson could post some details about that $70 fix; I can't believe a service centre did it for that little as many now are charging $100 or so just to book the car in, unless they already had the suspension apart replacing rear links or something.

Go talk to your service center about it. Mine was in that ballpark as well (Rear axle, $97.50 total).