Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Axle Clicking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was replacing the wheel center caps that gave me a clear view and access to the Hub Nut in the front and rear wheels. I can confirm that the front and rear both use 32mm nuts. However - can someone share what the front wheel Torque spec should be?

I put the wrench on it and accidentally turned the wrench the wrong way and the nut came completely loose with little effort. I gave it a few ugga-duggas the right way but would rather revisit it with proper specs.

I was replacing the wheel center caps that gave me a clear view and access to the Hub Nut in the front and rear wheels. I can confirm that the front and rear both use 32mm nuts. However - can someone share what the front wheel Torque spec should be?

I put the wrench on it and accidentally turned the wrench the wrong way and the nut came completely loose with little effort. I gave it a few ugga-duggas the right way but would rather revisit it with proper specs.
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 6.15.49 PM.png

205 Nm = 151 ftlbs

Rear is greater torque: see below

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 6.21.30 PM.png

Hello all , So I've been having this metal humming noise which sounds just like it was the wheel bearing failing. Took it to tesla and I was told it was my tires not balanced and wear was uneven. So I waited until I needed new tires. Got new tires and noise is still there, Then I thought it was the wheel bearing. so I decided to replace all 4 wheel bearings. When I got to the 4th in driver rear I noticed the axle nut was loose. replaced the wheel bearing and re-torqued the nut. Humming is still there but now I have this clicking when accelerating and decelerating from the same wheel. Could it be that the humming/grinding noise and click is from the CV Boot failing?? Thanks

Hello all , So I've been having this metal humming noise which sounds just like it was the wheel bearing failing. Took it to tesla and I was told it was my tires not balanced and wear was uneven. So I waited until I needed new tires. Got new tires and noise is still there, Then I thought it was the wheel bearing. so I decided to replace all 4 wheel bearings. When I got to the 4th in driver rear I noticed the axle nut was loose. replaced the wheel bearing and re-torqued the nut. Humming is still there but now I have this clicking when accelerating and decelerating from the same wheel. Could it be that the humming/grinding noise and click is from the CV Boot failing?? Thanks
You need to put the proper grease between the axle and wheel hub see pic, this is causing the click.

VUQj0tl.png

If you can record the humming sound and post it here maybe someone here could say what it is. If tires and hubs are new could be the drive unit

Thank you for Reply. I know about the greasing at the hum mating. But i just did that when I replaced the hub bearing and the click came back that’s why i was wondering if it was CV joint. I also thought the humming might have been from the joint. Any ways i will try to record the Humming. I’m afraid the camera might not pick it up since it’s not terribly loud but it’s annoying..

I would ask if it is a buzzing noise at 20 mph using a constant accelerator pressure, but you said you took it to Tesla, so I don't think it is the rear drive unit with its milling sound.

Did you replace the tires with the same brand? Which are they?

If you just did the wheel bearings you must have inspected all the CV boots...

Sorry but I forgot to mention the humming sound only starts on highway between speed of 65-75 mph. sound is louder with the speed. I don't have any milling sound. ALL The tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP. and yes I did inspect the CV boot they have no leak or nothing they look fine.

FYI, two years later:
I’ve had my axle splines lubed with heavy-duty molybdenum grease to address the issue, and it worked! For about 2-3 months it was nice and smooth, but the clicking returned. I had it done again but the service manager said it probably would wear off in the same time frame, and they would only reapply if I paid for it at that point. How much for this pointless service?
Paradoxically, Tesla doubled the price of axle maintenance to over $150, plus the m24x1.5 32mm axle bolts and security washers are $25 more. It’s a $177.50 subtotal, and they now use threadlocker (red) on the axle, presumably bc of how many times rear axle nuts were no longer at set torque values.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
As I am going through the problem right now I can tell for sure the lube might do the trick for some while, but ultimately its the CV boot that has gone bad. In my case my axle nut was loose for a long time which I believe has caused some damage to the boot. First time it got fixed with grease at the hub, now it has returned. My boot has started to leak grease along with more than 2-3 clicking at a time. I'm pretty sure that is the cause of my Humming on highway. Have an service appointment to replace the halfshaft.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
As I am going through the problem right now I can tell for sure the lube might do the trick for some while, but ultimately its the CV boot that has gone bad. In my case my axle nut was loose for a long time which I believe has caused some damage to the boot. First time it got fixed with grease at the hub, now it has returned. My boot has started to leak grease along with more than 2-3 clicking at a time. I'm pretty sure that is the cause of my Humming on highway. Have an service appointment to replace the halfshaft.
How about a picture of the leaking boot? And if you could post your estimate for the halfshaft replacement that would be helpful.

did the replacement of the halfshaft cure the issue?

I was finally getting some clicking noises as well, as it was a series of clicks not just a simple whack upon acceleration to deceleration I was positive it was the right rear wheel bearing so I replaced it. Clicks are still present!
Next step try this moly lubrication. Not as easy as it sounds; not the procedure, but getting the grease!
So I thought I would share some pictures as I was not sure myself what it all looked like, even researching this for hours and watching every video looking for information, as well as the service manual.

So first, if someone is curious the OEM wheel hub/bearing is SKF. I was happy to see this after purchasing the SKF replacement from Rockauto. Took some whacking etc. and putting the caliper bolt back in to pry the rotor off, I envy those in climates who don't have Magnesium Chloride and other salts in the winter.... hub removal wasn't too bad.
IMG_2894.JPG

It was not easy to source the Molykote 77; I didn't want to buy a $500 bucket of course, but found a place on ebay who sells it by the 1/2 ounce for $12, which should be enough for a dozen applications. You don't want to use just any molydenum disulfide grease; I had some already for brake sliders, but it is only 3-5% MoS2, whereas the genuine Dow Corning M77 is upwards of 40% MoS2; this is what is required for the proper cushioning between metal surfaces.

DOW CORNING MOLYKOTE M77 Paste Grease Lubricant Lube ½oz Silicone Oil, Moly MoS2 36663602145 | eBay

Here is a picture of the end of the cv joint with the hub removed to show the relatively dry mating surface, with some old molykote residue

IMG_2896.JPG

And a picture of the new and old hub which shows the other flat mating surface. You can see how these 2 flat surface will make sound when one steps on the throttle and the immense torque throws the cv joint out and it hits the hub surface. Why engineering didn't specify some kind of urethane bushing instead of molykote 77 is anyones guess. (?)

IMG_2893.JPG

One doesn't need to do this of course to lubricate this joint, It is certainly easier to add the specified 1 gram (how much is that? 1 finger scoop? :) when the hub is replaced, but for the other side of the car I didn't replace the hub. It is quite simple to remove the axle nut (mine was tight by the way, so that wasn't the issue) with my 1 1/4" old Snap on socket (same as 32mm) and push the spline in, and the cv axle away from the hub. It is not necessary to unbolt any suspension to get access to the space. Now I don't have any fancy "axle-pusher-inners" or gear pullers, so I fashioned a piece of wood with a hole in it, used a lug nut to hold it in place, and that held the axle in enough for me to manage sticking my finger in the space between hub and cv joint and smear some moly in the desired area.

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

See how dry it is? looks like bare metal
IMG_2944.JPG

And, it is quiet! We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: AaronE and navguy12