Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rear bike rack question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't affect the functioning of AP but, depending on where the rack is on the back of the car, it will likely cause the near field sensors to constantly show a red bar on the screen since the sensors will see a stationary object inches from the back bumper. That's what it does in my MY with the bike rack on and a bike mounted. My rack folds up and away when not in use which puts it above the sensor's line of sight so I don't get the annoying red lines on the screen when it is stowed.

It won't affect the functioning of AP but, depending on where the rack is on the back of the car, it will likely cause the near field sensors to constantly show a red bar on the screen since the sensors will see a stationary object inches from the back bumper. That's what it does in my MY with the bike rack on and a bike mounted. My rack folds up and away when not in use which puts it above the sensor's line of sight so I don't get the annoying red lines on the screen when it is stowed.

100% the above; my Yakima SingleSpeed hitch mount will impact the parking sensors as above, as well as the rear camera visibility.

On the upside, less aero drag than the roof mounts (which are great for shorter e.g. < 100mi drives).

Reactions: dhrivnak
100% the above; my Yakima SingleSpeed hitch mount will impact the parking sensors as above, as well as the rear camera visibility.

On the upside, less aero drag than the roof mounts (which are great for shorter e.g. < 100mi drives).
I actually experience longer range with the roof rack than the hitch rack.
I guess because my bikes have a pretty flat profile?

i have a 1up bike rack on my current car (audi q5) and thinking of getting a hitch receiver installed on my model 3 when it arrives.

wondering if it will mess with autopilot in anyway?
I have used both a 1up and Yakima hanging rack on my model 3, both work great the only issue was a drop in range between charges of 25-30% when driving at highway speeds. I was carrying either 1 or 2 road bikes. The bikes mess seriously with laminar flow

I have a model three long range. I would like to be able to mount the bike rack to the back so that I could carry a single bike. I see you U-Haul has some kind of tow hitches that would allow this and there’s something called a stealth hitch. I don’t want to tow anything to be able to carry a single bike and I don’t like the idea of putting a bike on the roof. Any solutions out there?

Get the stealth hitch, you won't regret it. Easy install in an afternoon and when you don't have your bike rack on you won't have the ugly receiver poking out

I have a model three long range. I would like to be able to mount the bike rack to the back so that I could carry a single bike. I see you U-Haul has some kind of tow hitches that would allow this and there’s something called a stealth hitch. I don’t want to tow anything to be able to carry a single bike and I don’t like the idea of putting a bike on the roof. Any solutions out there?

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 732