Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear bumper replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I got reared in the right corner of my rear bumper. I have late 2021 Model 3 LR MiC
The bumber needs replacement. Insurance will cover everything.
The guy from the Approved Tesla body shop claims all original Tesla parts comes un-painted and they paint them.
I was shocked, I was sure parts comes painted and they just replace them with perfectly painted new one.
What do I do? Have you managed to receive rear bumber that was painted by Tesla Factory and not body shop. I don’t trust the bodyshop paint skills. What is Paint matching practice? What they actually do?
Also the wing was pushed without paint scuffs. The guy said also complete replacement with new one and they paint the white. Again a lot of worries.
Thanks. I just want to have my car as it was…
E53ACFBD-184F-4C07-889F-75F412931EFC.jpeg

Hello everyone,
I got reared in the right corner of my rear bumper. I have late 2021 Model 3 LR MiC
The bumber needs replacement. Insurance will cover everything.
The guy from the Approved Tesla body shop claims all original Tesla parts comes un-painted and they paint them.
I was shocked, I was sure parts comes painted and they just replace them with perfectly painted new one.
What do I do? Have you managed to receive rear bumber that was painted by Tesla Factory and not body shop. I don’t trust the bodyshop paint skills. What is Paint matching practice? What they actually do?
Also the wing was pushed without paint scuffs. The guy said also complete replacement with new one and they paint the white. Again a lot of worries.
Thanks. I just want to have my car as it was…
You can ask on Tesla service on the app. Given Tesla only has limited colors, I know they do sell pre-painted front bumpers (which is what is commonly replaced), although I don't know if they sell rear ones. Note even if buying a pre-painted one, it may not match exactly since the age/wear on the paint would be different.

I believe however for most manufacturers they don't sell the bumpers painted because there's a lot more colors and typically there are other areas that need to be painted.

From your picture however, it looks like your rear quarter panel is damaged too. unless your shop is doing PDR, that section would need to be replaced (welded out) which will required repainting anyways. Those panels definitely are not sold pre-painted. I don't see how you would be able to avoid repainting anyways.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff