Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear bumper scratched

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cleaned my X and noticed a few very noticeable scratches on my rear bumper. I will try to buff it out but some seem deep. Think someone rubbed their bumper while parking or something. If the buffing doesn’t work, what does Tesla typically do? Repainting or replacing? Any info appreciated. Tx.

It is virtually impossible to not scratch the rear bumper for very long, especially the top. Even if you cover it every time you slide something in or out, it is going to get nicked sooner or later. If you fix it, the repair is likely to be more susceptible to damage than the original finish. I would chalk it up to normal wear and tear.

I think your Tesla center might refer you to a certified Tesla body shop that can repaint your rear bumper. You might try Dr. Colorchip. It won't be absolutely perfect, but it may be livable for you. I've had great results with paint chips and such in the past with their product.

They are long air type scratches. Touch up paint won’t do well on these. If they were chips, I’d touch it up like I do on the hood but this wouldn’t work here.

It is virtually impossible to not scratch the rear bumper for very long, especially the top. Even if you cover it every time you slide something in or out, it is going to get nicked sooner or later. If you fix it, the repair is likely to be more susceptible to damage than the original finish. I would chalk it up to normal wear and tear.

I hear you as it relates to small scuffs due to taking stuff in and out of the trunk. This isn’t it. It looks like another car that somehow managed to scratch the side of my bumper without bending it. I would not keep it as is. Too visible. Paint or full replacement for sure. Just wondering what Tesla typically does in these instances. Paint or brand new bumper?

Any pics of the scratches ?

Here you go. Am on road trip and car is dirty. Not clearest photo. Will clean it once I’m back home and post more pics. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 310AD1B2-6505-4B10-A435-2914B1578646.jpeg
    310AD1B2-6505-4B10-A435-2914B1578646.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 462
Thanks for the pic..I think Tesla will have you visit a Tesla approved body shop for a respray. Other than the scratches, does there appear to be any other damage to the bumper ? How much would Tesla charge for a new bumper ?

If you enjoy DYI projects, there is this:
Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup

They have how to videos on surface prep, painting techniques and blending.

Thanks. No physical damage. Just cosmetic. I’m thinking my first attempt may be trying to buff it. Got everything for that. If paint is required, then I’ll just deal with Tesla and/or their approved body shop.

I know when people think of PPF they think they have to wrap the full car, of the full front end, but PPF applied to "wear and tear" areas like door edges door cups, and the the rear bumper deck can prevent a ton of aggravation with daily abuse. Just letting you know that PPF can be applied virtually anywhere you'd like to reduce damage.