Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camber arms option - Hardrace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall reading years ago that the rear carbon fibre spoiler included with the P versions adds several hundred pounds of downforce to the rear of the model S at high speeds.
Gonna need a link to that. Big race car wings that you see on street based cars generally can only do 100lbs at 100MPH and maybe 300 LBS at 150+ MPH. The idea that a little spoiler could do 200-300 lbs at any street speed is pretty unlikely, especially without a massive drag penalty.

Unplugged performance CFD'd the model 3 and said the stock spoiler increased downforce by 35%. However, the conveniently leave out the absolute value, so this could be an increase from 13lbs to 18lbs. Even their much larger aftermarket spoiler only does 84% over no spoiler.

Gonna need a link to that. Big race car wings that you see on street based cars generally can only do 100lbs at 100MPH and maybe 300 LBS at 150+ MPH. The idea that a little spoiler could do 200-300 lbs at any street speed is pretty unlikely, especially without a massive drag penalty.

Unplugged performance CFD'd the model 3 and said the stock spoiler increased downforce by 35%. However, the conveniently leave out the absolute value, so this could be an increase from 13lbs to 18lbs. Even their much larger aftermarket spoiler only does 84% over no spoiler.
Yeah, I agree, seems like an exaggeration. I just recall it being more than I expected. I'll see what I can dig up.

Yeah, I told him I would take it back home and readjust and bring ti back if it was too far out, but no need. Looks like 286 was the correct length as I have -0.9 and -1.1 camber on low = perfect.
And the toe is now at -0.02 and 0.00 front, and 0.15 0.15 on the rear. Car feels fantastic. Best alignment I've ever had done.
Compared to the 0.16 and 0.14 front toe from Tesla 2 months ago, which made the car ridiculously loose on the icy roads. I can't emphasize how bad this made the car handle, almost undriveable. And they charged me $284 for this.

Thanks to @gearchruncher for starting this thread and the information it contains. :)
Can't wait to get my car into the alignment shop this Friday. I have set the camber arms up to the exact same measurement ( 286 ) and will use your settings for front and rear toe.. Fingers crossed its all good.. Out of interest - what Caster was yours showing after the alignment? cheers for the info.

Can't wait to get my car into the alignment shop this Friday. I have set the camber arms up to the exact same measurement ( 286 ) and will use your settings for front and rear toe.. Fingers crossed its all good.. Out of interest - what Caster was yours showing after the alignment? cheers for the info.
If you do plenty of reading you will see plenty suggest up to 0.5 degrees more on the right for road crown. With hands off the wheel sometimes my car drifts right after over 1 km, sometimes drifts left, sometimes goes straight for 2 km, so it depends on the shape and curvature of the road where one lives I suppose. I am happy where it is at, and a previous setup from 2018 (that was done correctly from a different Tesla centre), that I was also happy with I see there were at 4.0 and 4.1.
IMG_E0054.JPG

Okay, I was a little off. Okay, alot off. :) I read about an amount of downforce somewhere else before this was posted in 2020, but this will have to do :)
But according to this theoretical data there should be about 30 kg or 66 lbs. of downforce at 175 km/h. (109 mph)
(Taken from the graph as a reduction of lift, where at speed 65 kg of lift compared to 95 kg of lift without the OEM spoiler. )
I still feel it does seem more than one would expect from a 3 inch piece.
Point of my post though is the piddly little OEM spoiler does do something to reduce "floatiness"
Amazing the amount of work someone did here, just for fun!

Aerodynamics, simulations and the Tesla Model S

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 2.28.20 PM.png

Is the ride harsher over bumps with the hardrace arms and pillowball joints? I'm wary of fitting them because my coil spring S is already a hard ride on rough roads.
Well all I can tell you is my experience. I have air suspension, in the firmer plus version, which was only available for a short time, and I notice no extra NVH with the Hardrace over the cushy worn out oem bushings. And I have both camber arms and toe links.

Reactions: philip295
Has anyone in this thread installed just these camber arms on an S with with air suspension?

If so, what Camber were you able to achieve while keeping the Toe within a reasonable spec?

For reference, I run my Model S in Standard mode and my current Camber is -2.2 on the left and -2.6 on the right. Just trying to see if I will get a significant enough improvement to help stave off some of the inner tire wear without needing the extra investment in the toe arms.

Last edited:
Has anyone in this thread installed just these camber arms on an S with with suspension?

If so, what Camber were you able to achieve while keeping the Toe within a reasonable spec?

For reference, I run my Model S in Standard mode and my current Camber is -2.2 on the left and -2.6 on the right. Just trying to see if I will get a significant enough improvement to help stave off some of the inner tire wear without needing the extra investment in the toe arms.
Your inner tire wear IS NOT camber.
It is 100% toe related.

Your inner tire wear IS NOT camber.
It is 100% toe related.
There are a significant number of people, including those who literally make these adjustable arms that will tell you differently. I align my car often and keep positive toe under 0.2 degrees yet my tires still wear out on the inside edge in about 9k miles on a set of 21s or 1/3 the rated life on a set of 19s.

You're in the wrong thread to be making that argument I think.

On a model X, I got 0.5 degrees camber on LOW while maintaining zero toe. That was when I ran out of stock toe adjustment.

It's generally true that tire wear is not camber, and toe matters way more. But it's a bit extreme to say that camber can never wear tires unevenly. Matters what your toe was and how many miles you got before you noticed inner tire wear.

If camber didn't matter, why do so many stock cars come with near zero camber?

There are a significant number of people, including those who literally make these adjustable arms that will tell you differently. I align my car often and keep positive toe under 0.2 degrees yet my tires still wear out on the inside edge in about 9k miles on a set of 21s or 1/3 the rated life on a set of 19s.

You're in the wrong thread to be making that argument I think.

K.

Lemme know when you have personal experience and don’t rely on the internet.

Maybe a bmw forum might shed better light on this. Or a visit to your local racetrack and speaking to anyone that’s raced longer than a tesla has been around. This isn’t a new phenomenon, e39m5 and e30m3 owners have complained about this for decades.

I have no horse in your race. But my SX and both 3s would heavily disagree with camber wearing the inside edge of the tires.

Have a great day duder.

Has anyone in this thread installed just these camber arms on an S with with air suspension?

I installed the Hardrace Camber arms on my 2012 Signature with air suspension. I tried to attach the alignment printout .jpg, but I keep getting " A server error occured. Please try again later."

Before:
Left Camber: -1.62*
Left Toe: -0.2mm
Rt Camber: -2.09*
Rt Toe: -0.4mm

After:
Left Camber: -1.09*
Left Toe: 1.4mm
Rt Camber: -1.07*
Rt Toe: 1.4mm