Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera, Can it be kept clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the problem with most all cars equipped with rear cameras that I've been in, especially in winter.

My LEAF didn't quite have this kind of issue. I live in Chicago. We get snow and municipalities use heavy rock salt in the winter. Model S gets way more easily gunked. They designed it so it is more exposed. That being said, I only clean mine once a week at most. I find it stays clean enough if there isn't a major snow storm. Even then a quick wipe works wonders.

Is it annoying? Yes. Does it require daily cleaning? No, far from it. I just wish it was like my LEAF and required once a month cleaning instead of weekly.

Wonder how difficult it would be to install something like this:

CamWash Vehicle Camera Washing System

Looks like Nissan is using an innovative solution as well:
The self-cleaning rear view camera that plays a very important role

Seems like Nissan is using technology from the flexible endoscopy world. Water and air stream to clean the camera of dirt instead of / in addition to feces, although it is manually activated when endoscopists use it. But Tesla should definitely first roll it out in "shadow mode", add a manual clean button, upload data from the fleet for verification, apply deep learning algorithms, and 6 months later, you'll have auto-self-clean rear view camera!

Fourteen years old patent. Seen this in actuality yet?

Afraid not.

The invention was originally inspired by seeing front-mounted cameras on race cars getting quickly fouled up by weather and track debris. The wipers over the camera lens were annoying to see on TV...especially when they were swinging across the full image. And their benefits were short-lived during bad weather conditions.

The notion of a continuous-clean lens cover with no wiper obstruction seemed like a good solution. Of course, HP wasn't in the race car camera business, so additional claims and fields of use were added to the patent.

Someone should tweet this problem to Elon then he'll have engineering fix it in a week. It isn't a problem until Elon knows about it ...
Well, I think he has to know about this one. Doesn't he drive Teslas?! I know it nevers rains in Southern California, but really now... (that's a joke, for those that don't get the reference....)

Reactions: Kacey Green