Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Failure. Latest Fix Info? Sleep Length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the rear camera failure (black screen) has now happened to me, and the fixes I've tried so far haven't worked. Apparently none of the cameras as working and autopilot is unavailable (and maybe GPS).

My searching suggests the best fix is:

1. Remove USBs
2. Reset with both scroll wheels plus brake (hold until logo comes back)

I've done that twice with no joy.

Next to try: Letting it sleep. I've plugged it in at home.

Questions:

1. Are there any other fixes to try?
2. How long do I have to let it sit for the sleep/wake to (possibly) fix it?

Thanks!

Yesterday, after 1.8 years of ownership, I got hit with the dead rearview camera issue. All cameras were apparently AWOL, so AP didn't work. It's a big pain (might have to actually drive the car myself 😮. I forgot how hard backing up is without the camera).

Has anyone figured out what might trigger this problem?

Yesterday, I unplugged the car when the charging hadn't finished, and immediately drove. I know that shouldn't cause problems, but perhaps that's what triggered it.

Anyone else have any ideas? It's a hassle to fix this problem.

I started getting the rear black screen after a software update a few versions back. Definitely software related.
The way I get it to fix is to go to Service -> AP camera calibration - clear calibration. As soon as it begins the process of re-learning the rear view is restored. You’ll need to let the cameras relearn but it only takes about a few minutes of driving for the progress circle to complete. I had to do this a few times but since the latest update it seems to occur less. I have a 2018 LRM3.

Reset with both scroll wheels plus brake (hold until logo comes back)
I could be wrong, but pressing the brake doesn't do anything. I believe it's one of the oft mentioned, and copied, old wives' tales.

According to Tesla, there are two methods of rebooting...
Restarting the Touchscreen
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it to potentially resolve the issue.
Warning: Only restart the touchscreen while the vehicle is stopped and in Park. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc. will not be visible during the restart.

• Shift into Park.
  • Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black.
    restarting-touchscreen.png
  • After a few seconds, the Tesla logo will appear. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try powering cycling the vehicle.
Note: Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power Model 3 off and on.

Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.

• Shift into Park.
  • On the touchscreen, touch 'Controls' > 'Safety & Security' > 'Power Off.'
  • Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  • After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal to wake the vehicle.

I could be wrong, but pressing the brake doesn't do anything. I believe it's one of the oft mentioned, and copied, old wives' tales.
Yes, I think that's right.

The way I get it to fix is to go to Service -> AP camera calibration - clear calibration.

Excellent, thanks!

Since some of the fixes I've researched worked for some people but not others, is there anyone else who can report that this fix worked for them?

Reactions: haroldo
I started getting the rear black screen after a software update a few versions back. Definitely software related.
The way I get it to fix is to go to Service -> AP camera calibration - clear calibration. As soon as it begins the process of re-learning the rear view is restored. You’ll need to let the cameras relearn but it only takes about a few minutes of driving for the progress circle to complete. I had to do this a few times but since the latest update it seems to occur less. I have a 2018 LRM3.
Interesting. Could it be that you may have endured a hardware event, though?

I haven't had a software update in ages, but this suddenly started happening to me after 3 years of trouble-free operation of the backup camera. The only notable events last week are that it rained a lot, some water got into the trunk, and I got my tires changed. Water and electronics never mixes well, but I don't think the tire change should've affected it.

Things I've tried:
2-button reset, 2-button + brake reset, power off, format USB, removed USB, disabled Sentry, disabled Dashcam = no change
sleep = fixed it, but stopped working as soon as I opened the trunk a few times
clear calibration = fixed it, but stopped working as soon as I opened the trunk a few times

Subsequent "clear calibration" doesn't seem to always work unless open/close the trunk a few times and get it into the correct position -- which.. implies there is an incorrect position. So... YMMV, and not saying yours isn't software-based, but at least in my case, if I had to guess, it seems like the trunk camera and/or position sensor is malfunctioning. Mobile services directed me to the service center. I... can only take so many days off to service the car.. :p Hope your backup camera is doing better!

Was able to be seen at the local SC. They must be pretty busy, as the lead time for appointments is 20+ days.

In any event, my "backup camera screen going dark (and staying dark until sleep)" issue turned out to be a fix via wiring + wiring harness replacement. They didn't go into a ton of detail, but it looks like something about the setup wasn't right that it caused excess tension to the wiring, that it eventually became partially undone, and would temporarily connect itself (albeit weakly) when the trunk was closed.

Many possibilities that one can speculate about -- cable was too short, was routed incorrectly, harness defective, tied down at the wrong location, etc, etc. Either way, the problem has been fixed. The other "backup camera screen going dark" posts didn't seem to coincide with the trunk opening / closing like mine did, and there wasn't a ton of said posts, but for those folks, it may be worth having your wiring harness inspected.

Reactions: akidesir
had the same issue, rear backup camera would work but once i opened the trunk one or twice the backup camera would be black. Backup camera would stay black all day and would work again after the vehicle went to 'sleep' over night and works the next day and not work again when I open the trunk once or twice. Replaced rear deck lid wiring harness and all good.

Reactions: sodakar
Tesla (TSLA) issues recalls on almost half a million Model 3 and Model S vehicles
NHTSA writes in the recall notice:
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling all 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles. The rearview camera cable harness may be damaged by the opening and closing of the trunk lid, preventing the rearview camera image from displaying.

Good to know it's being addressed. My local Service Center was able to get me in and out in a day for my rear camera harness, but it would've been 10x more convenient for me if this was something mobile services could have handled, though I completely understand mobile services is not designed to handle open-ended troubleshooting. Hopefully now that they have a better idea of which cars are impacted, and a well-defined fix, it would be something that they could ask their mobile service team to take on.