Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone else might have had this issue and know how to fix..

Went to Leeds SC today for a totally unrelated problem and after getting home, put car into reverse and the camera just shows a black screen :( Tried soft/hard reboot and still no luck. Any ideas?

Used the rear camera button on screen to take the below.

15720198485588169836156673450240.jpg

Went to Leeds SC today for a totally unrelated problem and after getting home, put car into reverse and the camera just shows a black screen :( Tried soft/hard reboot and still no luck. Any ideas?

View attachment 469910
If you’ve tried both a hard and soft reset, it sounds like they’ve buggered it up at the service centre. I believe the technical term is Failed Under Continuous Testing (FUCT).

I’d get back in touch with Leeds SC. I hope you don’t live too far away :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Fraank
Power off the car and wait until you hear a clunk (15m maybe, make sure that you don’t use the app/api to check on the car). You need the car to go into deep sleep, when it comes out it will do a self test.

If a self test ever fails you tend to lose the camera.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Fraank

View attachment 469910
Had this intermittently on a couple of occasions this week, and then this morning just as I was embarking on a journey from london to Norfolk.
It also kicked out the Autopilot and TACC.
Stopped half way at services and after countless soft reboots and a less soft reboot (2 buttons + break) with no joy, I got out, locked car and swirched off sentry mode & phone bluetooth. Gave it 5 mins, then got back in (trying to get car to sleep). Success, rear camera was back, and road visualizations appeared for AP, but very faint.
I got on the road, stuck on AP, and it worked for 30 seconds before screaming at me to take back control at 70mph. Drove it like a normal car the rest of way to Norfolk, but weirdly it all seemed to work on way back minus blind spot detection, which I put down to the rain.
I have SC appt on friday so will ask them to look at it but it feels like a software bug.

Occasionally sentry doesn’t give the cameras back to the rest of the system. This then causes a whole load of faults. No rear camera, no auto pilot usually some SOS warning. Soft reboot doesn’t fix it.

In these cases you need to unplug everything (usb devices) and turn off sentry. Get the car into a deep sleep so that the 12v power is cut then turn the car back on. Rebooting the car isn’t enough, you need it to perform a diagnostic again.

Had this intermittently on a couple of occasions this week, and then this morning just as I was embarking on a journey from london to Norfolk.
It also kicked out the Autopilot and TACC.
Stopped half way at services and after countless soft reboots and a less soft reboot (2 buttons + break) with no joy, I got out, locked car and swirched off sentry mode & phone bluetooth. Gave it 5 mins, then got back in (trying to get car to sleep). Success, rear camera was back, and road visualizations appeared for AP, but very faint.
I got on the road, stuck on AP, and it worked for 30 seconds before screaming at me to take back control at 70mph. Drove it like a normal car the rest of way to Norfolk, but weirdly it all seemed to work on way back minus blind spot detection, which I put down to the rain.
I have SC appt on friday so will ask them to look at it but it feels like a software bug.
With all this do they realy expect everyone to buy the car? I don't see excuse the agisim here old grannies outing up with that at all. My dad especialy couldn't he has only just learnt to use YouTube.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Roy W.
With all this do they realy expect everyone to buy the car? I don't see excuse the agisim here old grannies outing up with that at all. My dad especialy couldn't he has only just learnt to use YouTube.

Ok so my M3P+ went into SC on Friday for delivery defects. I mentioned the issue to the chap in charge (very helpful chap). Its a known issue and software related. Anticipated to be fixed within the next 2 software updates. He also mentioned that prior to not long ago, not all cameras were used by AP and they started using the B pillar cameras which may have something to do with it.

Ok so my M3P+ went into SC on Friday for delivery defects. I mentioned the issue to the chap in charge (very helpful chap). Its a known issue and software related. Anticipated to be fixed within the next 2 software updates. He also mentioned that prior to not long ago, not all cameras were used by AP and they started using the B pillar cameras which may have something to do with it.

That[s what they said about my S rear camera 11mths ago......seems to be cold weather related with mine

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I am now having the no rear camera issue on my M3P, and no AP functioning, the auto high beam for headlights not working, and sentry mode turns on but will abort after several minutes. I have tried the two finger reboot and the brake pedal plus two finger reboot. What is the procedure for full power down?

Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.
Just got black rear camera view. Tried all the reboot options and power off (not sure I did that one properly as only screen seemed to power off).

Still no joy. Noticed all rear view dashcam files were truncated too...
...and no NoA although did do a lane change.

upload_2019-11-30_15-19-35.png

Hopefully it will sort itself out overnight.

Just got black rear camera view. Tried all the reboot options and power off (not sure I did that one properly as only screen seemed to power off).

Still no joy. Noticed all rear view dashcam files were truncated too...
...and no NoA although did do a lane change.

View attachment 483062

Hopefully it will sort itself out overnight.

I tried rebooting and didn't do a thing, left the car overnight and been working ever since.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Just went out and car locked me out again (second time in as many days) for 30 seconds or so (use key card to open) when I popped out to put wipers in maintenance mode. Good news though that I had rear camera back.

I did file a bug report when it happened, but cant seem to raise a separate service appointment for it. That one is not until Jan and the bug reports will have become inaccessible by then.