Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera/MCU1 issue since V11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings everyone,

Been shadow reading this forum quite a bit and as sadly as I find it my first post happens due too a car issue :)

I own a 2017 model S75D. AP2.0 - MCU1 - 8GB (+/- 252.000 km/155500 miles)

Which a few months ago had the V11 update, shortly after the update I started getting weird refreshes of the center console. Together with the "airbag on" message on the drivers dash. Music and climate continue but screen goes black and returns. (further referenced as "refresh")

Fast forward a month with quite a few soft reboots the camera starts glitching out sometimes grey, sometimes black, sometimes the camera gets stuck a tiny bit before the center console "refreshes", sometimes the camera works flawless but screen "refreshes". Still was quite okay with this even though it's annoying to have "refreshes" every 30 seconds-9 minutes.

Now since last week. The camera is permanently either completely black or a message "camera is unavailable". none of the resets longer work. The car requires a minute or two to be driveable and the center console response is a bit slower than what I'm used too, LTE is not starting up nicely (tune in/spotify not loading but after a minute or 5 and a pause -> play push it works). However the "refreshes" seem to have dissapeared for now.

I set some money aside to do a MCU2 upgrade as I enjoy my car alot, but a quick search has me replacing the rear camera at about a 600 -1000 cost depending if I can score a part or not from a good source/do the work myself. Which in worst case scenario is half the price of a MCU2 upgrade.

I generously searched all kinds of topics/video's on MCU failures, but they all seem to be alot more drastic failures than what I'm experiencing. The closest I found in terms of similar issue were a few people with an older model X that replaced the camera, but they didn't have the "refresh" happening.

I have no other shown errors , so this has me a bit puzzled and leaves me questioning

- Is this a pattern of the fated failing MCU1 as I do have fairly high mileage?
- Would just upgrading the MCU1 to MCU2 solve the camera issue? my reasoning it's the MCU no longer being able to process the video data due to some reason since it switches from entirely black and camera unavailable.
- Can a faulty camera cause the weird behaviour of the center console/issues since the "refreshes" (for the moment) dissapeared?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their expertise

Ludris

The cameras are insanely priced now. Precovid HD camera was $40 to $70 on ebay. Now they're a minimum $350. You'll find posts on this forum of pre covid prices people paid, its unreal the difference.

Anyway, time for me to buy one... :(
I've found eBay prices all over the map. I've often bought new parts from Tesla that cost less than those used from eBay. There can be bargains on eBay, but don't assume the price is a good deal. I think some sellers just have no idea of the value of a new part and just put a high price hoping someone will buy it. That said, it's some work to get a price from Tesla too.

Upvote 0
I've found eBay prices all over the map. I've often bought new parts from Tesla that cost less than those used from eBay. There can be bargains on eBay, but don't assume the price is a good deal. I think some sellers just have no idea of the value of a new part and just put a high price hoping someone will buy it. That said, it's some work to get a price from Tesla too.
Tesla price was over $500. So definitely not a good deal. I bought one of the older cameras on ebay to have something. I'll try and repair my current one once I pull it out.

Upvote 0
I can’t remember the model but it’s the one that came with my 2016.5 model s.

I can go look up the part number if you really want…
The rear camera on our early 2017 Model X has started to flicker, like it can't figure out what exposure level it wants to set itself to. MCU reset was no help. I'm concerned it's starting to go bad.

What were the model numbers of your old camera and the replacement?

Upvote 0
The rear camera on our early 2017 Model X has started to flicker, like it can't figure out what exposure level it wants to set itself to. MCU reset was no help. I'm concerned it's starting to go bad.

What were the model numbers of your old camera and the replacement?
For my 2016 Model S, I bought 1006773-00-F which I just replaced this weekend. The quality seems good even though its technically lower definition then the previous one. Definitely happy I Only spent $70 USD on this versus the $300 to $500 on the newer model.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Upvote 0
yes sofar i haven't had any camera issues since swapping. it always shows up perfectly. now almost a month in. so car behaves as it should.

(altough to say the MCU2 isn't the biggest change as people make it out to be. it's better but still not too impressed of the map sometimes) :)

Upvote 0
Ya I’ve been hesitating on getting it but I do like YouTube! And have premium unlimited data.

In any case I’m so disappointed in Tesla telling me it was the camera. I say that, with the expectation that it was the mcu that was problematic. Being closed source, it’s not like I can log in and look for drivers that are failing to load with the kernel etc.

My hope is we’ll get more folks replying with the same symptoms and that an mcu2 upgrade fixed it.

Upvote 0
Ya I’ve been hesitating on getting it but I do like YouTube! And have premium unlimited data.

In any case I’m so disappointed in Tesla telling me it was the camera. I say that, with the expectation that it was the mcu that was problematic. Being closed source, it’s not like I can log in and look for drivers that are failing to load with the kernel etc.

My hope is we’ll get more folks replying with the same symptoms and that an mcu2 upgrade fixed it.
I have had the same problem with rear camera. Additionally the parking sensors stopped working. Model S 2017 90D.
New Harness required to fix parking sensors and MCU2 upgrade to fix rear camera and intermittent loading screen.
In today to get fixed. Just got message to say harness replaced and sensors now working. Waiting to hear on MCU2 upgrade effectiveness. Will be done today as well.

Upvote 0