Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera off center?

Normal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

I just mounted the trailer hitch for the first time ever, as I needed to haul some yard waste away. When I did, I noticed that the hitch shows up off to the side on the rear camera (see attached picture, a bit right of center). So it seems to me that the camera view isn’t actually centered as I had rather assumed.

I guess I’m just trying to verify if that’s normal or not. If that’s normal, then no big deal. But if it’s not normal, I’d worry about it affecting things like the self-parking functionality and such, so I’d want to get it fixed.

Be so kind as to reassure me? ;)

A405B83A-2DC3-495A-A7B8-40C5B1854AB8.jpeg

Merry Christmas!

Hi everyone

I just mounted the trailer hitch for the first time ever, as I needed to haul some yard waste away. When I did, I noticed that the hitch shows up off to the side on the rear camera (see attached picture, a bit right of center). So it seems to me that the camera view isn’t actually centered as I had rather assumed.

I guess I’m just trying to verify if that’s normal or not. If that’s normal, then no big deal. But if it’s not normal, I’d worry about it affecting things like the self-parking functionality and such, so I’d want to get it fixed.

Be so kind as to reassure me? ;)

Merry Christmas!

I believe it is normal. The rear camera is not exactly in the centered in the rear. The camera also is not used for parking maneuvers. That is the job of the ultrasonic sensors.

Mine is the same- I extended the width of the wheels with some 2x4’s so it showed up on the camera and you can see the offset from them to the lines on the backup camera what is estimate at about 4” or so. For me it’s a bit frustrating because while the car might use the ultrasonic sensors to park, I have to use the lines and after what looks like a perfectly centered park on the screen, when you get out and look as you walk away, it looks like you don’t know how to park haha! I thought I read somewhere that the camera can be adjusted - not sure it that means through software or physically aimed differently, but I was going to add it to next service request.

Mine is the same- I extended the width of the wheels with some 2x4’s so it showed up on the camera and you can see the offset from them to the lines on the backup camera what is estimate at about 4” or so. For me it’s a bit frustrating because while the car might use the ultrasonic sensors to park, I have to use the lines and after what looks like a perfectly centered park on the screen, when you get out and look as you walk away, it looks like you don’t know how to park haha! I thought I read somewhere that the camera can be adjusted - not sure it that means through software or physically aimed differently, but I was going to add it to next service request.

Yeah, I had a similar fear about my ability to park, but didn’t want to write it. ;P

Would be great if you write back after your next service appointment and let us know if it can be adjusted. For now I’m going to live with it, but I’ll check with service next time I happen to be in (hopefully not for a long time!).