Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera on new 2019 Raven - Poor Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S, and I picked up a 2019 Raven last week.

The 2019 (3 years later) has a worse rear camera image than my 2016 model? Why?

Honestly I thought given it's a step up from AP1 (2016) to the Raven AP2, that the image quality for the rear camera would at least be the same if not BETTER.

I did a test with the rear camera in the same spot in my driveway and you can see that the 2019 struggles to see the road behind the car while the 2016 model can pick up the surroundings no problem.

Here are the pictures:

IMG-4220

WFXkmJQ

WFXkmJQ

I have asked Tesla to address this but no answers as of yet.

It’s a longshot but I do recall buying one car a couple of years ago and had the same exact problem. Turns out there was a clear plastic cover on the camera lens placed by the factory to protect it that the dealer never removed. Once I removed it, camera quality was much better. You could barely see the cover because it was so thin. I had to pick at it with my finger nail to get it to start to come off.

I checked the camera doesn't have any film on it, thanks for the suggestion though.

I would be surprised if others owners on this forum have a Raven Model S and don't have this issue?

I just upgraded from a 2016 to Raven a month ago. The camera is WAY better now. It was like going from an old SD TV to HD.

Are you sure it is better at night?

I am being 100% honest when I say, my 2019 camera is a LOT WORSE than my 2016 model at night.

No response from Tesla about this...
I guess that is expected from Tesla given their service reputation.

I also have a raven model that, if memory serves correct, nighttime\low light rear camera visibility is far less than my 2016. Daytime is fine and clear.

Is there a fix or any explanation as to why this would be?

Perhaps you can get some answers from your Tesla service centre? maybe if enough of us start asking about the rear camera they will fix it. I think it could be mainly software related.

Tesla here in Australia are yet to reply, but 99% they will have no clue or care.

I’ve definitely noticed the rear view camera is considerably darker at night in the Raven S (got mine Sept 2019) compared to the 2013 and 2016 Models that I had. Have to touch the brakes (to illuminate the red light) to see much.

the images you posted are quite accurate.

Makes backing up kinda dangerous. Ill ask my service Center but I’ll bet they’ll say this is factory spec.

Reactions: SDRick and FetzCo
Yes I agree it is more dangerous.

When it is a little dark, I can barely see out the back, in comparison to my 2016 model.

What is someone or somethings was behind the car at night, it will now be very hard to see.

Why Tesla has gone backwards on this important safety feature is quite strange.

It is looking like, I am not the only one, and the Raven model just has a bad rear camera. Maybe they changed the supplier?

I’m hoping it could be fixed in software by changing the gain. We should bug Tesla about it. Since they just sent out amass email about safety it might be worth sending a tweet out at Elon and Teslamotors with your picture as the example. I didn’t take pics with my older cars to compare but your is exactly illustrative.

I’m hoping it could be fixed in software by changing the gain. We should bug Tesla about it. Since they just sent out amass email about safety it might be worth sending a tweet out at Elon and Teslamotors with your picture as the example. I didn’t take pics with my older cars to compare but your is exactly illustrative.

Hey, I don't have a twitter account myself, and I don't think if I made one it would get passed the spam checks to reach Elon

Please feel free to use the images I have provided if you need to communicate the message to your Tesla service centre

Still no response from Tesla AU. They are probably hoping I just forget about it. Which I am not going to!