Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera quickly cutting out black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last week I during a drive I noticed the rear camera view (I keep this always on) cut out to black for a second and turned back on. This happened like 3-4 times subsequently. I then tried to reboot using scroll wheels. The car rebooted with a split screen camera (one where the bottom half of the camera view was split and it was inverted - known issue) I rebooted again and this went away and the normal camera view was back and working. But it still cut to the black screen after a few minutes.

Since that day, the camera screen turning black for a second or so has happened every day. Maybe 2-3 times a drive.
As long as it doesn't completely go out I won't be too concerned right now,

But I just don't want to take it in to the SC yet since I was just there a month ago, and I'm in the extended warranty coverage now where every visit is a flat $200.

I haven't seen any other threads on this issue. Anyone know?

Had the same thing and it eventually stopped working completely.
Tesla found a fault with the camera and had to replace it.
Are you seeing this message?
Camera Unavailable.jpg

There's been a few reports now of corrupted connectors for the rear camera. Some of these have been when the rear camera is mounted on the front and the connector got water in it. So, you could remove the left pull cup on the left gate so you can access the inside of the lift gate close to where the rear camera plugs into the cable going to the front. You could check the connector for corruption to determine if the problem is there. If you want to take it another level, you could order a new camera from the service center and swap it out yourself. The cameras that came in the '13-'14 Model S were about $350 each. But with a different part number, the cameras that came in the late '15'17s is only $78. Buying the $78 camera and trying it is cheaper than the $200 deductible.

If its not the problem, and they won't take it back, you can probably sell it on TMC for $45-50 at least.

I hope for you its the camera. If its the long video cable that travels from the left front kickpad, along the rocker panel inside the car, to the rear, up through the left rubber boot is not going to be fun to replace.