Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Recall for Model 3s (2017-2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting the symptoms of the recall ? Mine started playing up last Dec 2021.. and been trying to get Tesla SC to rectify it ever since

But they kept postponing my service booking to Jan, Feb, March, and now April / May even - they couldn't even give me an ETA when replacement harness would be available .. seems like they can delivery a new car in 6 months , and maybe a spare harness part??? What a joke.. I have FSD and cannot use auto park, have a blank rear camera which seldom shows vision after opening and closing boot..

Thinking time to take Tesla Aus to the dry cleaners through fair trade or even join a class action to get money back for waste of FSD features, let alone basic reverse camera function.

Owning a Tesla has been ruined by rubbish service in Aus; so much for no service required for a tesla EV.. next ev wont be a tesla .. but the next one after that might be .. pending how cybertruck turns out..

December 21, 202121V-00DDescription:
The Model 3 trunk harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display.
Safety Risk:
Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view and increase the risk of a collision. If there is a loss of rearview camera display, the driver can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing.
Remedy:
Tesla Service will inspect the trunk harness on affected vehicles for wear. If wear is determined to be within specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will equip the harness with a guide protector to ensure a sufficient radius when the harness holds in a closed trunk state and prevent further wear. If wear is determined to be beyond the specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will install a new harness and guide protector.

I booked my M3 into the local service centre when the recall was first announced. It was immediately cancelled with the advice that the recall didn't (yet) apply to Aus/NZ, and that I'd be contacted when it did - yet my VIN is on the announced list. So far nothing from Tesla after many months. I have to agree that Tesla support is abysmal and not at all proactive.

• Informative
Reactions: dasn and Fazza
Has anyone had their Model 3 Trunk camera fixed under the recall? This was created as a official recall back in Dec last year and I now Tesla is pretty slow but you would have thought parts would have arrived by now,

Has anyone had their Model 3 Trunk camera fixed under the recall? This was created as a official recall back in Dec last year and I now Tesla is pretty slow but you would have thought parts would have arrived by now,
Hi had my rear camera harness replaced.. but because i had lost my camera feed completely due to the very reason of the recall - Chatswood SC dragged their feet for months until finally i took it to Alexandria SC and they - said they'll get a replacement but may need to replace again under the recall with the official newer rev part once that was available in AU - this was back in April 2022 - my camera started having feed drop outs and blanks on occassion from Dec 2021 - strangely as the recall came to be known..

Hi had my rear camera harness replaced.. but because i had lost my camera feed completely due to the very reason of the recall - Chatswood SC dragged their feet for months until finally i took it to Alexandria SC and they - said they'll get a replacement but may need to replace again under the recall with the official newer rev part once that was available in AU - this was back in April 2022 - my camera started having feed drop outs and blanks on occassion from Dec 2021 - strangely as the recall came to be known..
If there's anything which puts me off buying a Tesla again, it's this sort of thing. An adequate level of after-sales support is a reasonable expectation (especially at this price-point), but provision of parts and haphazzard commitment between Services Centres to date is quite poor IMHO. It's a worry that we're still waiting on the required harness for much of a year, for example.

My coax harness is fine, but my rear camera is blurry. Trunk Handle with integrated camera was replaced once already with the same issue back in 2020. I am now looking to get it replaced for the second time, as reversing is a PITA when the back up screen is blurry. Dunno how it happens as the lens is clean and unscratched. Corrugated gravel roads probably damage the sensor -> lens alignment somehow.

Tech replaced my rear camera couple of days ago. I asked about the harness recall and he said the boot harness on my M3 (late 2019 build) was not the type that was effected. He could tell by just looking at it. The config of the conduit has seemingly varied over time.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Tech replaced my rear camera couple of days ago. I asked about the harness recall and he said the boot harness on my M3 (late 2019 build) was not the type that was effected. He could tell by just looking at it. The config of the conduit has seemingly varied over time.
mate i suggest you check your vin at the URL below - only way to know for sure

Plus always have your bag of salt ready whenever tesla merely even whispers a word

mate i suggest you check your vin at the URL below - only way to know for sure

Plus always have your bag of salt ready whenever tesla merely even whispers a word

Thanks Checked. My VIN is indeed effected. But the rear conduit on my car is fine, so I suppose if it ever fails the can replace it. But at the rate I am going I will have replaced the rear camera several more time before then !

Reactions: Fazza
Long story short?
Since purchasing the car almost four years ago the backup camera has failed to come on numerous times. There appears to be multiple issues as sometimes the window comes up black and other times the window doesn't come up at all. During one visit service tech revealed he could see in the error logs that the camera module wasn't responding resulting in the system throwing a time out error. Whether that is the source of all the failures I don't know. Each time the camera doesn't come on I have sent Tesla pictures and/or videos along with the date and time. Until the harness replacement was announced their response was that they were aware of the problem, have seen it in many vehicles and the factory hasn't provided any fix.

That's not the recall issue - it's about physical damage to the rear camera cable, the other two aren't affected.

Presumably the issue in the recall is fixed for new production cars.
I mentioned that when I brought the car in to have the harness replaced. I also pointed out that previously the error logs showed a time out failure which would be inconsistent with a broken harness. Which is why I wasn't surprised when the cameras failed to come on even with the new harness.

• Informative
Just saw a recall notice in the app for The Blue Bunny - Mar 2020 M3SR+. Tells me the parts are available but does not appear the Mobile Ranger can do the replacement, the only options I have are to take the car to one of the three local service centers in October.
Never had an issue with the camera, I have wiggled and cajoled the cable with nary a flicker.
The Dallas Service Center is on my way to work, I'll drop in next week and get the details. I don't mind their doing the work, but that means I'd have to let my wife drive The Good Ship Venus, and I don't know how long it will take.
Changing the whole harness seems silly, it's just a video cable with some off connectors.
And I'm not removing my EVOffer trunk motor system if they want to claim the BS that there is a warranty issue.

Did you get this replaced while the car was in warranty? Mine is out of warranty and they put on the reinforcement piece (due to the recall), but not replace the harness since the rubber exterior did not appear damaged and the coax cable did not have the yellow stripe. My backup camera currently does not work.

I wonder if the recall is due to the metal rubbing against the harness or the continual bending of the cables. If the former, then a visual inspection of the harness seems reasonable; if the latter, there can certainly be non-visible damage.

Did you get this replaced while the car was in warranty? Mine is out of warranty and they put on the reinforcement piece (due to the recall), but not replace the harness since the rubber exterior did not appear damaged and the coax cable did not have the yellow stripe. My backup camera currently does not work.

I wonder if the recall is due to the metal rubbing against the harness or the continual bending of the cables. If the former, then a visual inspection of the harness seems reasonable; if the latter, there can certainly be non-visible damage.
Within warranty.. but all model 3's in aus should still be under warranty.. unless it happened to your Model S?
Also it's the latter "the continual bending of the cables" because the centre of the coax used is a solid wire.. (poor component selection by Fremont factory)

Reactions: alt7070
Within warranty.. but all model 3's in aus should still be under warranty.. unless it happened to your Model S?
Also it's the latter "the continual bending of the cables" because the centre of the coax used is a solid wire.. (poor component selection by Fremont factory)
I have a M3, but I'm in the US and it's out of warranty. It's my favorite car of all time, but the car that has caused me the most angst of all time :).

I was disappointed they did not test or replace the cable for me even though my camera has issues. The recall effort uses visual inspection to determine if the rubber armor is torn, kinked, or damaged in any way. It seems likely (even probable) that this would miss failures due to the "continual bending of the cables."