Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Recall for Model 3s (2017-2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3, but I'm in the US and it's out of warranty. It's my favorite car of all time, but the car that has caused me the most angst of all time :).

I was disappointed they did not test or replace the cable for me even though my camera has issues. The recall effort uses visual inspection to determine if the rubber armor is torn, kinked, or damaged in any way. It seems likely (even probable) that this would miss failures due to the "continual bending of the cables."
Any recalls should be covered regardless of warranty status - best to throw up a stink like we do here in Oz when company's try to avoid their responsibilities .. otherwise you are missing features the car came with i.e. reverse camera and is actually not up to safety standards the car was certified to be at ...tell them the reinforcement piece has not remediated the recall issue and the next step as per their own recall notice is harness replacement.. the newer rear camera harnesses have been readily available in American region .. i think we have yet to receive any in APAC region

Last edited:
Reactions: alt7070
Any recalls should be covered regardless of warranty status - best to throw up a stink like we do here in Oz when company's try to avoid their responsibilities .. otherwise you are missing features the car came with i.e. reverse camera and is actually not up to safety standards the car was certified to be at ...tell them the reinforcement piece has not remediated the recall issue and the next step as per their own recall notice is harness replacement.. the newer rear camera harnesses have been readily available in American region .. i think we have yet to receive any in APAC region
Thanks, but unfortunately my SC says the recall work is complete. They understand the camera doesn't work, but say they will only do what's in the recall campaign (they say it could be due to any number of things). I still think it's the bending cable since the camera used to go in and out as I opened the trunk. If they tested the cable and verified it was fine, I'd be OK paying for a fix.. But only a visual inspection of the outer harness is required.

After the recall work, the camera is dead (no longer intermittent). I complained since it kinda worked before they touched it, but since I told them it was flakey before they did the work, they say it's not their problem.

They invited me to file a complaint with the Attorney General here in WA state, saying they deal with this all the time (really?). It saddens me because I'm really pro-Tesla and worry about them losing customers due to bad service. Oh well, it's just a car.

I've started by filing a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). We'll see how it goes. For <$400 I know I should just move on, but it still annoys me.... I realize this isn't relevant for Australia, but that's where the active threads are... thanks for listening...

:p
Thanks, but unfortunately my SC says the recall work is complete. They understand the camera doesn't work, but say they will only do what's in the recall campaign (they say it could be due to any number of things). I still think it's the bending cable since the camera used to go in and out as I opened the trunk. If they tested the cable and verified it was fine, I'd be OK paying for a fix.. But only a visual inspection of the outer harness is required.

After the recall work, the camera is dead (no longer intermittent). I complained since it kinda worked before they touched it, but since I told them it was flakey before they did the work, they say it's not their problem.

They invited me to file a complaint with the Attorney General here in WA state, saying they deal with this all the time (really?). It saddens me because I'm really pro-Tesla and worry about them losing customers due to bad service. Oh well, it's just a car.

I've started by filing a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). We'll see how it goes. For <$400 I know I should just move on, but it still annoys me.... I realize this isn't relevant for Australia, but that's where the active threads are... thanks for listening...
No propblem.. Yeah very poor form by Tesla in your state.. i was going to suggest NHTSA -good you did.. but perhaps in order to get it working you could just get them to replace the rear camera harness and you pay for parts and labour.. and if that does it then turn and ask them hey look at that.. show me the money! :)

Or what i did was go to another SC that might actually be more helpful.. i basically said well with the rear camera not working.. smart summons and self parking don't work either, let alone having a working reversing camera... that's when they kind of said ok we'll replace the part for now until the recall becomes official here in Aus. I even Tweeted Mr. Musk directly.. don't think that did anything...

Reactions: alt7070
Tesla mobile finally replaced the wiring harness. The replacement fixed the intermittent issues of the rear and side cameras blacking out. Reading comments about the quality/resolution and agree its should be better on an expensive vehicle.

I’m in the US and service in the app says they won’t be booking for this repair until 2023. My guess, given Tesla sucks at cars, is that it will be at least mid 2023.
CFF066D3-6DB0-4A81-A176-11C842A906FE.png

service in the app says they won’t be booking for this repair until 2023
The service you requested is for upgrading high voltage components on your car so it can charge on CCS1 fast chargers, not the recall for the low voltage wiring that connects the rear camera.

Parts availability of one does not correlate to parts availability of the other, especially with the sudden demand for CCS1 upgrades now it's available to you in the USA.

Fortunately here in Australia all Model 3s and Ys are delivered with CCS2 ports from the factory, so that's not an issue for us.

Reactions: Vostok
I took my Model 3 in for a pre-end-of-warranty service check last week at Alexandria, and they fixed this under warranty. They replaced the entire harness, they did not just install a guide protector.

So it seems the parts are in stock.

Hmm, I took mine into Alexandria 3 weeks ago to fix the upper control arms (mine failed after warranty end) :( Price was reasonable though.

I added "Rear Harness Recall" etc as it has been showing up in phone Service section for the last couple of years.

Service technician said they didn't do it as they only do it if they notice wear on the cabling.

Phone still showing the recall notice ...