Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear "Camera unavailable." Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I always use rear cam screen while i driving; since last few days, when i accelerate hard, rear cam screen goes black and shows "Camera unavailable." error for only few seconds of full acceleration, after that it's turning back to normal view in few seconds.

Any ideas?

Temperature: 5-10 Celcius
Firmware: 2017.46 3387a54

Hi all,

I always use rear cam screen while i driving; since last few days, when i accelerate hard, rear cam screen goes black and shows "Camera unavailable." error for only few seconds of full acceleration, after that it's turning back to normal view in few seconds.

Any ideas?

Temperature: 5-10 Celcius
Firmware: 2017.46 3387a54

Did you upgrade the camera to the newest version? I did, and now and then the screen goes blank for a short time. It seems to happen when I transition from sun to deep shade, but it’s so infrequent and short-lived that I stopped worrying about it.

Did you upgrade the camera to the newest version? I did, and now and then the screen goes blank for a short time. It seems to happen when I transition from sun to deep shade, but it’s so infrequent and short-lived that I stopped worrying about it.
What is the process to replace the camera? Does it need to be paired with the car, or can I just buy any old S camera on ebay and plug it in?

I am also having rear camera problems on my 2014 - blank/black camera image, sometimes with "Camera unavailable", sometimes not. Other than that, MCU and everything else is OK. MCU1, Tegra board replaced.

What is the process to replace the camera? Does it need to be paired with the car, or can I just buy any old S camera on ebay and plug it in?

I am also having rear camera problems on my 2014 - blank/black camera image, sometimes with "Camera unavailable", sometimes not. Other than that, MCU and everything else is OK. MCU1, Tegra board replaced.
I replaced my camera this weekend. All better. Step by step guide with photos here - Suitable rear camera for 2016.5 Model S 1061269-00-D