TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear camera washer mod

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Theshadows, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Has anyone thought about trying to make a rear camera washer that would squirt washer fluid on the camera lense to clear it off in winter driving and/ or in the rain?

I hate it when it's raining or dirty and you can't use it.

I was thinking if one could put a T fitting into the existing washer line and figure out a way to run a tube to the back and put a little washer nozzle near the camera so when you squirt washer fluid a blast of washer fluid would hit your camera lens and blast the gunk off of it.

We use rain-x washer fluid and this would help to keep the rain beaded up so it's more usable too, I think.

Any thoughts on if this would be plausible?

2. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

3. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

This is a fantastic idea. I use actual rain x solution (not washer fluid) on the camera. I reapply it once a week and it does help. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing. Aquapel actually works the best but I don't use it on my windows because they all have film on them so I don't want to wast it just for one time use.

4. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

A washer would be great - I keep a squirt bottle in the trunk for this.

Maybe something like this would work: Amazon.com: ACI 99300 Windshield Washer Pump: Automotive. You could put the bottle in one of the side wells in the trunk. The challenge would be running the hose all the way up to the top of the trunk opening, across to the trunk lid near the hinge with a flex hose, and back down to the nozzle.

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

With both front a rear cameras on my car I now give both a gentle wipe with lens cleaners after a storm or wet day. It's become a habit.

The challenge to a washer is that it can't leave water droplets on the camera lenses -- that distorts the images big time.

7. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

That's why I was thinking about a washer jet.

I have that never wet stuff but I am really not liking the idea of spraying it on the camera. Maybe I'll try it on a pair of glasses to see if it works on them and keeps a clear view.

8. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

9. ByICE

ByICE Member

Here is a "pro" solution..... headlight_wiper_2.jpg

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

A wiper on a very small camera with a highly curved lens would not be possible.

Interesting that the trim under the headlamp is rusting. I'm rather surprised that Mercedes would make a trim piece in that position out of material that could rust.

11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

What about high pressure air? An air jet instead?

12. gnychis

gnychis Member

Yeah, curving a wiper blade would be tough. The rain-x solutions seem good.

My family has historically owned Mercedes: 1989 300SEL, 1992 500E, 2001 E320, 2009 C320, 2012 C300. The '89 and the 2001 rusted to all hell. Too early to tell on the '09 and '12.

13. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

14. tomanik

tomanik Member