Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Carbon Fiber spoiler lose on MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fixed it myself with 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter and 3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape. It has not come loose since me doing this! If you end up doing it yourself take your time, make sure everything is super clean! both the underside of the spoiler and trunk. I bet Tesla half the time doesn't clean the spoiler side and just tries putting more tape on.. it has to be pristine, no old tape left! then line everything up, have tape ready to hold it in place, then don't touch it for like 24 hours. Worked like a charm for me!
Tesla puts on a brand new spoiler each time. The tape is pre applied.

Upvote 0
Here is my 5th spoiler after 3 weeks. Started lifting a few days after install.

Can’t say it is the hatch as it has been replaced due to an accident. Two spoilers on first hatch, new spoiler on new hatch lifted, next replacement lifted, now this one.

View attachment 806540
Man, that’s pretty bad. The original spoiler on mine was lifting slightly (not close to as bad as yours though) within 2 weeks of delivery, and I had it replaced. The second one was starting to lift a little bit but before I could get to the appointment to replace it again I got rear ended, so that appointment was cancelled. The body shop that did the repairs transferred the spoiler to the new lift gate and through 4 months so far it has been fine. I’m not sure what they did, but I just assumed that they are better at attaching stuff onto cars than Tesla technicians.

Upvote 0
I pulled mine off to replace is this weekend. I was amazed at how little of the spoiler is actually making contact with the car. Look at how much adhesive is untouched. It was a bit of a pain to remove the old adhesive but with some goo gone and plastic trim tools to carefully scrape I was able to manage with no paint damage. I used multiple strips of the 3m VBH I mentioned in my other post and it seems like it is on there very securely now. I guess time will tell.

• Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0
I pulled mine off to replace is this weekend. I was amazed at how little of the spoiler is actually making contact with the car. Look at how much adhesive is untouched. It was a bit of a pain to remove the old adhesive but with some goo gone and plastic trim tools to carefully scrape I was able to manage with no paint damage. I used multiple strips of the 3m VBH I mentioned in my other post and it seems like it is on there very securely now. I guess time will tell.

Crossing fingers for ya. My second replacement spoiler is peeling too and I figured I'd do it myself like you since the SC can't fix it.

Upvote 0
Curious to ask MY owners, my spoiler is coming loose on my 2021 MY performance. (I could easily pull it off if I wanted to). Is this something that I should bring back to Telsa to repair or do people have recommendations? Thanks
The key is the use of 3M Adhesion Promoter 06396. Tesla will replace the whole spoiler, they did on my 2020 MYP multiple times, On my 22MYP I just fixed it the right way, go to eBay find a precut 3m tape kit for the Y spoiler and replaced the tape, but use the 3M Adhesion Promoter 06396! IT seems tesla skips this step, confirmed when they've replaced my spoiler before, This makes the tape really stick to the surface and thus work properly. Highly recommend this. I did it on my MYP 22 and 4 months with no further issues, the fit is even better than the factory.

Upvote 0
I had it taped down with painters tape for about a day but I guess that wasn't enough.
This is from the RPM Tesla’s installation instructions:

After it is installed, we suggest using painters tape to exert more pressure on the double sided tape. 3M says 72 hours is needed for it to fully bond, so please keep this applied pressure during these 3 days.

So maybe longer next time?

Reactions: Ruffles
Upvote 0