Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Center Console for Model S - should I get this??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see Tesla discontinued selling theirs in the accessory store. Anybody know who the manufacturer was? They seem to look better than Evannex's.

It doesn't matter. Tesla's rear center console does not work on the refreshed MS. In Tesla's infinite wisdom, they removed the latch from the back of the rear seat. There is now nothing for the rear center console to attach to.

As high tech as Tesla's cars are, you would think they have genius engineers until you look at the most simplistic things like this. WTF are they thinking?

It doesn't matter. Tesla's rear center console does not work on the refreshed MS. In Tesla's infinite wisdom, they removed the latch from the back of the rear seat. There is now nothing for the rear center console to attach to.

As high tech as Tesla's cars are, you would think they have genius engineers until you look at the most simplistic things like this. WTF are they thinking?

Thanks for the response. And I completely agree with you. This is helpful - no use getting this then.

I'm trying to decide between the Tesla Model S (the king of EVs done right?) and a Mercedes Benz E300 2017 model (high on luxury, not an EV - clearly an ICE car that's now got some really cool tech that competes with the high bar that Tesla set a few years ago).

I see you have a P90D (congratulations!). How do you like it, and is the lack of any storage/ cup holders for rear passengers just an annoyance you get used to, or is it a hassle that's more? I know this may be different for different folks... but though I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

I have the optional Tesla rear console which was once for sale in the Tesla Accessories website. Mine has been in the car just about since new and it is very nice and well made. I was not aware that Tesla Motors has removed the anchor latch from the back of the rear seats on the Refreshed S. Sad that they did this. The rear console was offered in all the trim options like Obeche, Piano, Kevlar, etc and with the correct leather covering too. I am very fortunate to have ordered this when I did!

We pretty much never have 3 folks in the back seat so it has stayed installed. However, I did order and have installed the new unified Center Console in my Feb 2016 Model S. This center console has the hidden rear cup holders just like the Model X center console. So now my rear passengers have 4 locations to store cups and bottles! Now that is remarkable. Heh Heh

As an odd aside, I have also noticed that Tesla Motors has also removed the front trunk hood lining which was present on the pre-refreshed Model S. Now, I do not desire to be critical, and make anyone feel bad. However, I will say that the lack of front trunk hood lining makes the front hood (when open) appear a bit unfinished or crude. On the positive side, one does not normally miss that, which one does not have.

@singleview, I've been where you're going. I have owned two MB E-Class cars over the years. My current one is a 2010 E550. I was considering the 2017 E300. But, I mainly declined because it lacks the power that is conducive for the way I like to drive. I would wait for their release of the E550 next year, but then, it's an ICE, which is the most favorable aspect of the Tesla MS.

I still have the E550. It's a fantastic car. MB's 2017 E Class is also fantastic. But, the Tesla MS is a better choice as long as your priority is not luxury. The 2010 E Class had very little luxury unless you had the Designo option. Materials in the 2010 E is virtually all plastic. This I don't mind because my priority is performance. MB has brought back higher class materials in the 2017 E Class -- a bit more plush than in previous years.

The MS P90DL costs a LOT of money. But, performance costs. And, you at least get the performance of quickness with the P90D. Handling is a matter of getting used to because it is such a heavy car. Breaking is not there for a car this quick. Air suspension is adequate -- would be nice if it were adjustable. All in all, it is very good. Can't say it's worth the price. But, it is certainly unique - quick, full-sized, electric sedan -- no other car can say that.

But, Tesla truly missed on the most basic, simple accessories and options. The MS is not luxurious -- but, why not? Why not have luxury options? Then there are the WTF Were They Thinking items: no coat hangers; no rear cupholders; no rear center armrest; no lighted vanity mirrors; no door pockets; no ventilated seats option; no spare tire option.

Sure, can live without these basic things, but really?

babyjocko said:

My apologies to Tesla on this one. This was my fault. The latch is there. I just couldn't see it. It is hidden behind the fabric on the back of the folding seats.

I looked at the instruction pictures again. It shows an anchoring of a baby seat. Therefore, I figured an anchor latch MUST be there -- how else would one anchor a baby seat, which I figure would be a federal requirement. So, I brought in a bright light (Tesla's trunk lighting is not good) -- but, that didn't help me find the latch. I fingered around the area where I figured a latch should be. I felt something that felt like an anchor latch. As I moved my finger over the latch more and more, the fabric gave way. Voila! There's a slit in the fabric that provides access to the latch!

These slits were visually undetectable. But, I guess it takes a little common sense (which I lacked) that the latches MUST be there.

Is the rear cup holders in the new centre console an option that can be added. I think my new 75D due end August will not have the rear cup holders installed but have the centre console though.

As of this time, the Model S Integrated Center Console (MSICC) which is an accessory on Tesla Motor's Tesla Gear website is the only one with rear cup holders. Your new 75D will come with a console but so far, those consoles do not have the hidden rear cup holders. So only the Model X and the MSICC provide them, along with the no longer available Model S Rear Console.

Many think that at some time in the future, Tesla will add the rear cup holder feature to the current Model S Center Console. I speculate that there will be an interior "refresh". When.... who knows?

As of this time, the Model S Integrated Center Console (MSICC) which is an accessory on Tesla Motor's Tesla Gear website is the only one with rear cup holders. Your new 75D will come with a console but so far, those consoles do not have the hidden rear cup holders. So only the Model X and the MSICC provide them, along with the no longer available Model S Rear Console.

Many think that at some time in the future, Tesla will add the rear cup holder feature to the current Model S Center Console. I speculate that there will be an interior "refresh". When.... who knows?

Yes thanks that is what I understood from the posts and info out there also. I was in an X that had the rear sliding cup holders, did I rad that they are available as a separate purchase, is that what you were suggesting also?

Well, the MSICC is a separate purchase item. However it was intended for the pre facelift Model S cars which came without a center console. Your 75D will have a console which is essentially 99% like the MSICC just without the rear cup holders.

Up until about one month ago, there was an optional rear seat console offered by Tesla Motors called the Model S Rear Console. It had leather trim to match your interior and wood/piano/kevlar trim to match your accents. Also a hidden cubby for small item storage. It was removable and is held in with a strap that goes under the rear seats and attached to the hidden llatch on the back of rear seats.

Regarding the Model X hidden rear cup holders, I do think that they are "Standard" with the Model X's center console.

Thanks again. Yes I was in a test drive Model S that had the Tesla rear console on the back bench of seats in the middle, and there is the aftermarket version that is still out there and being adapted to match interior finishes I read on another post.
Tesla don't sell that middle console anymore I believe, perhaps some new kit is on the horizon although the growing aftermarket seems to be catering for those odd items too.

Thanks again. Yes I was in a test drive Model S that had the Tesla rear console on the back bench of seats in the middle, and there is the aftermarket version that is still out there and being adapted to match interior finishes I read on another post.
Tesla don't sell that middle console anymore I believe, perhaps some new kit is on the horizon although the growing aftermarket seems to be catering for those odd items too.
When I was in the market for an S. Tesla had an order able option called Executive Rear Seats which had very luxurious rear seats and an integrated rear between seat console. This option was eventually retracted by Tesla. The rear seats of this option were not adjustable nor did they fold down. It apparently was Orderable by all market regions. For some reason tesla stopped offering this option and it was retracted after only about six months in the DesignStudio.