Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear collision alarm on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All my previous cars had Rear Crossing Traffic Alert. Gotta bug Elon to include this. Aren’t there plenty of sensors on the rear bumper to make this happen?

Reactions: cbaaz
I can only say from backing into the drive / garage that the sensor bubble takes time to update the distance of its surroundings. You can watch it morph and change shape bouncing from orange to red. It can say a brick wall is almost touching the bumper even though it is not that close. So go very slow. I have this on video a cat running towards the back wheel while I back up on the reverse pillar camera, cat not get recognised as a hazard lol lucky I was watching because the cat was after something else. Cat object recognition maybe comes later?

Reactions: Gasaraki
All my previous cars had Rear Crossing Traffic Alert. Gotta bug Elon to include this. Aren’t there plenty of sensors on the rear bumper to make this happen?

No, usually rear cross traffic alert is done by radars on the rear bumper, which Teslas don’t have. I don’t think any of the sensors on the car have enough range to enable RCTA.

Sounds like a good suggestion. Where do I find the setting for the proximity volume?

Also, I was backing up at maybe 2-mph. Perhaps the car does not beep at me if I'm going slowly?

Thanks for the ideas.

The next time you get close to a wall and you hear the proximity sound, look at the upper left corner, you should see a speaker sound icon, you can mute it there.

8A7A512A-9E4B-419D-85CB-782057002610.jpeg

Reactions: GuyDude
The next time you get close to a wall and you hear the proximity sound, look at the upper left corner, you should see a speaker sound icon, you can mute it there.

View attachment 575149
Yes, the proximity sensor is on so it appears as though the 2018 Model 3 has no rear collision warning. Pretty basic feature that a "luxury" sedan should have. Very disappointing.

Yes, the proximity sensor is on so it appears as though the 2018 Model 3 has no rear collision warning. Pretty basic feature that a "luxury" sedan should have. Very disappointing.
Welcome to Tesla ownership. Best advice I can give you is to learn to live without some of these basic features. It does other things extremely well so try not to focus on its deficiencies.