TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear collision prevention... or something else

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DSTAR, May 20, 2016.

1. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Last rant for now, I promise :) Just getting used to my new car, so figured a month in is a good time to ask questions.

Behavior: I am backing up slowly, usually out of a parking spot and beginning to turn, then the car stops suddenly and is in Park rather than Reverse. There is nothing behind me that I can see. I swear under my breath, move the stalk to Reverse again, and continue. Sometimes it will happen again. Typically I keep my foot on the break pedal, so I can back out carefully and slowly. After that, all good, and I drive away.

I wonder if this is an overly agressive rear collision prevention, or a fluke, or just me being an idiot and pressing the break pedal too hard (although that would not move the car in to the "Park" position, I don't think).

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Are you turned around, looking back and slightly lifting yourself out of the seat? If so, then it detects you aren't in the seat anymore and returns to Park.

3. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

Ah... that's possible. I do turn around just like that. Interesting. Thanks!

4. DSTAR

DSTAR Member

I've now tested and confirmed the theory. Thanks, MorrisonHiker!

• Like x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

If the seat belt is not buckled, the car only allows reverse for a very short distance.

Are you sure your seat belt is on while you want to go reverse?

• Like x 1