Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear control arm bushing on the front replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Sort of jinxed myself a few days ago by talking about how much abuse the car has held up to over 60k+ miles... Power sliding around some stuff last night and had the type of understeer feeling pushing like the front tire sidewalls were flexing a lot. Long story short, looks like the rear control arms in the front, has a blown bushing. There appears to be some solid bushings for the front front lower control arm, but nothing for the rear front control arm. (not sure if those are considered trailing arms or not technically, most cars refer to trailing arms only on the rear axle)

Anyone know if these are available? Would take poly, or solid either one, or an entire arm upgrade...just can't see to locate them. prefer aftermarket upgrade rather than doing an oem replacement.

PXL_20210626_181708779.jpg

Not sure if anyone released it already, I believe there were some announcements. I have solid ones made for BMW and they work fine, but I don't know how anyone can order those other than bringing their arm to a race shop which does them...

Not sure if anyone released it already, I believe there were some announcements. I have solid ones made for BMW and they work fine, but I don't know how anyone can order those other than bringing their arm to a race shop which does them...

I got in touch with SPL and they are in the middle of making spherical replacements but they won't be released for a few months. MPP has inserts to go in the OEM ones, so it looks like I'm just going to have to use OEM and deal with it...don't want to risk damaging other parts with this flopping around trying to hold off for SPL.

I got in touch with SPL and they are in the middle of making spherical replacements but they won't be released for a few months. MPP has inserts to go in the OEM ones, so it looks like I'm just going to have to use OEM and deal with it...don't want to risk damaging other parts with this flopping around trying to hold off for SPL.

Email MPP! Looks like they have one in development that should be released any day. Vendor - Mountain Pass Performance Intro - Updates

Reactions: Mash
Hi guys! The first batch is finishing at anodizing right now, and we have another couple dozen sets being machined right now :) I think the first little batch is spoken for by our racers, but after that, we will be announcing them for sale and in stock!!

Thanks for the info and assist today. in with the save for that quick shipping. Wish I could wait on these bushings but new arms and your inserts will have to suffice for now

Forgot to follow this post up - just those compression arm inserts make a fairly significant difference in cornering stiffness, especially on the dive in. Didn't realize how spongey the OEM bushings were until these were replaced - would definitely recommend the upgrade if you don't want to do the full bushing replacement.

Forgot to follow this post up - just those compression arm inserts make a fairly significant difference in cornering stiffness, especially on the dive in. Didn't realize how spongey the OEM bushings were until these were replaced - would definitely recommend the upgrade if you don't want to do the full bushing replacement.
Do they stay secure even with torn bushings? I just don’t want to run the risk of them falling out.

Do they stay secure even with torn bushings? I just don’t want to run the risk of them falling out.
You would essentially have to unbolt the arm to get them out unless the bushing was 100% destroyed. However, do not install these in damaged bushings. They would not only not help at that point, it would probably emphasize the negative feedback you get from a damaged bushing.

Between the $300 for new compression arms and $150 for these inserts, it's cheaper to go solid bushings when they are released, but I had an event and could not wait. My passenger side bushings were ripped completely through both sides and it was probably going to start damaging steering links and stuff if they were not replaced asap.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
You would essentially have to unbolt the arm to get them out unless the bushing was 100% destroyed. However, do not install these in damaged bushings. They would not only not help at that point, it would probably emphasize the negative feedback you get from a damaged bushing.

Between the $300 for new compression arms and $150 for these inserts, it's cheaper to go solid bushings when they are released, but I had an event and could not wait. My passenger side bushings were ripped completely through both sides and it was probably going to start damaging steering links and stuff if they were not replaced asap.
Ah okay, makes sense! I have the inserts sitting around but was waiting for the solid bushings after I realized my stock ones were torn. I have a track day at the end of the month but I might just run them as-is since they’re not torn too badly.

Ah okay, makes sense! I have the inserts sitting around but was waiting for the solid bushings after I realized my stock ones were torn. I have a track day at the end of the month but I might just run them as-is since they’re not torn too badly.
Honestly I wouldn't put them in if you're sure the existing bushings are damaged. It would be like having 1/2 of a bushing made out of solid polyurethane, and the other half an oil filled hydro bushing or something squishy. Would be pretty unpredictable as far as handling goes.

Not to point to any specific bushings or product, but all suspension bushings in general, when stock rubber, can flex and send the alignment off by quite a bit under loads. Here is a video we did and look how much displacement is taking place with stock bushings.