TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear cooling fan 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Aspirant, May 27, 2012.

1. Aspirant

Aspirant Member

Just got the front fan shroud upgrade and the rear fan upgrade. Was told the rear fan might be a bit louder but didn't think much about it. Well, it is quite a bit louder. My formerly quiet electric car now has a high-pitched whine that is terribly noticeable even in the cockpit w/ the top on. Anyone else get this supposed 'upgrade?'

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I believe they only did my rear fans.....anyway, it seems to have a higher pitch tone, rather than being much louder. But I don't notice it in the cockpit with the top on.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, the rear fan is quite a bit louder, but is only noticeable to me in the cockpit when we're not moving. When I'm driving I can't hear it.

It does provide much better cooling. I guess nothing is for free.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I'd like to know more about the upgrade, please share links / info.

I found the front discussion here:
    Cooling system improvement

Do I just pick up the new shroud and that's it the upgrade?

Any links for the rear and could someone please describe?

thanks!

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is the rear can different than the new PEM fan? They seem to only be selectively replacing the PEM fan. I'd like to get it but they said for people in warm weather, it has to break first.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tesla changed mine without me asking and without mine breaking.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I guess it depends on location or maybe it's a slow rollout. I had my annual service in December and it wasn't mentioned. I had asked before but I'll send another email. Have you been happier with how it is cooling?

9. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

Had new fans put in last Friday. They look to be well constructed and should work better. Took two 70 mph hwy trips each burning up about 120 miles and PEM temp stayed where I am used to seeing it on the temp drive screen. They do make a little more noise but the radio covers it up. Matt the DC Tesla Ranger is a Tesla Superman for all the work he did to help with my upgrades on a hot humid MD day.

Haven't heard about cooling system improvements other than PEM system. Go in for service in about a month so i'll check it out then.

10. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

Yeah, Matt and Greg at the DC store are very helpful and dedicated.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes. Really noticeable when charging here. I also have the feeling that there are less squeaks and creaks with the new sway bar , but maybe it's the noise of the fans covering them up.

One afterthought, the fans were installed right after I changed rear tires (soooo much quieter!) and maybe I haven't noticed the fan noise as the car is quieter in totality.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Anyone have the cost to do the front and rear fan upgrade package? Just parts if I do it myself and if there's a quote from Tesla for the parts/installation.

Thanks!

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not so simple to do the front - they actually replace the whole heat exchanger so it requires an air conditioner recharge.