TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Cross Traffic Alert - Volt vs Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Phillip L, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

I test drove a 2016 Chevy Volt that another Model S owner's wife bought (my wife and I are thinking of replacing her ice with one) and the most remarkable thing I noticed was when I started to back up in our driveway was that a car was coming up the road from the left and there was a clear and distinct warning while I was a good distance away. I was impressed with how well it picked up and alerted me about the presence of that vehicle. Is the model S as good in detecting this and am I just inattentive to the subtle little "bubbles" showing up on the dashboard screen because I am busy looking behind me, and the Volt just has a good audio alert? Or has the Volt better sensing?

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

The volt has better sensors. It's using Radar which has longer range than the Model S ultra sonic sensors

3. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

Thanks! Now to google and educate myself on the two.

4. David29

David29 Member

If I recall correctly, the Model S ultrasonic detectors have a stated range of (only) 16 feet. So enough for lane change warning but not for the situation you describe. And it is not advertised or described as such by Tesla. So cross traffic alert is a feature the Tesla currently lacks. Maybe in the rumored Gen 2 hardware set for autopilot....