Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can add the garage door opener module, it's just extra fees instead of charging every owner for the royalties that this thing requires. Alternatively, the provided clicker works fine.

many recent cars omit the spare tire, Tesla are not the only ones. There are alternative options if you want a spare, or a slime bottle, or tire plugs as many of us do.
When a spare isn't included, with most manufacturers, the car comes with run-flats. Tesla saves by simply providing neither one

I knew it does not have cross traffic alert but I bought it anyway. With that being said, I would really love to see that feature in my Tesla. My other cheap vehicle has it and I LOVE the feature, especially when backing out of parking lot like Costco, shopping malls and etc. It's very convenient and it is a basic safety feature for many car manufacturers.
I love my Tesla but it's sad (embarrassing) to see such a technically advanced vehicle not having this safety feature.

Reactions: DeeDeeCee
How the hell did ppl manage to drive cars in the past?

Never letting go of my analog Porsche Turbo...
So true! Damn, my Porsche doesn't have a spare tire, no radar nannies/blind spot aids, not even a backup camera! I'm not sure how I manage to drive it without crashing into things!

Boxster 1-1-23.jpg

I haven't seen anyone mention the lack of proximity alerts. Am I missing something, or are those gone now? When I ordered mine, it would alert me if I was about to back into something, but the options to turn that and the audible alerts on do not exist. I'm thinking they went away with the USS's being pulled, and I fear that to get them back I will need to pay the $15k for enhanced autopilot.

I couldn't agree more with the "Every car anywhere close to this price range includes rear cross traffic, usable blind spot warnings, proximity sensors, etc. as basic features, so why wouldn't a car promoted as "the safest vehicle in the world" and a car that strives to be fully autonomous include these basic features.

So true! Damn, my Porsche doesn't have a spare tire, no radar nannies/blind spot aids, not even a backup camera! I'm not sure how I manage to drive it without crashing into things!

View attachment 894351
it’s like you’re saying Porsches can sell their vehicles on quality, reputation, performance, and service. You mean they didn’t sucker you into vaporware add-ons, so it would be priced like a Porsche. Sadly, unlike most Porsche owners, we don’t have a spare vehicle for when it doesn’t work. (you know rain, crowded, parking lots, near poor people)
we don’t have run flats, or pothole detection or even a database in the navigation software, but we we do have odd size tires with fancy foam inside. Last flat I had, tesla wanted to tow me 60 miles from my house, to a service center that I could was not open on Sunday and they could fix it the next day, (this is in Atlanta) luckily, I purchase a spare tire and wheel and have it hanging on my wall.

9DA1776E-2826-44CA-95F4-734706499D90.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B50B32F-70A6-4B80-8C69-DC521D9EDBC8.jpeg
    9B50B32F-70A6-4B80-8C69-DC521D9EDBC8.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I agree the absence of cross track warning is a significant omission. Previously I had a 2017 Volt and in a few ways it had better tech than my 2022 MY. A useful cross track warning was one of those ways.

I presently have a Rav4 Hybrid, picking up a Y Saturday. One (more) question the sales guy couldn’t answer definitively was does the Y have some sort of cross traffic sensing. On the Rav, if you are parked between 2 large PU's ( in Texas not a rare occurrence) and you start backing out, the sensors on the rear bumper will alert you to cross traffic, does the Y have similar function ?

Nope, yet another reason we back into parking spots (not just at Superchargers!).
Been backing in whenever possible since I started driving, long before backup cameras. No worries about blindly fumbling my way backwards out of a cramped space, no worries over lack of a front camera, and a faster getaway 😃

Seriously, backing in (or even better, pulling through) is safer and actually easier to maneuver into the spot.

I presently have a Rav4 Hybrid, picking up a Y Saturday. One (more) question the sales guy couldn’t answer definitively was does the Y have some sort of cross traffic sensing. On the Rav, if you are parked between 2 large PU's ( in Texas not a rare occurrence) and you start backing out, the sensors on the rear bumper will alert you to cross traffic, does the Y have similar function ?
No, but once you get out a little the back-up camera gives a pretty good view to the sides as well.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Why
I was a bit surprised too... I did a fair amount of research, but there are some tablestakes items that many people would simply not think to ask about. For example, my last car was a 2012 Hyundai Genesis with their top-tier Technology package. It did not have Bluetooth audio streaming. That feature was on every other trim level of the car and every other car I knew about at that time. I figured it out after I had the car for a few days, because it never occurred to me that it would not have it. I put Tesla's missing cross traffic in this same category.

Cross traffic alerting is a tablestakes feature on every other remotely comparable car on the market today that I am aware of. It simply never crossed my mind that the Model Y, with its recent update, would not have that feature. I was aware that other tablestakes features like head-up display, SiriusXM, and CarPlay were missing, but with all their focus on advanced cameras, cross traffic seemed like a no-brainer.

I love the car, but there are a lot of little things missing that put the MY many years behind its counterparts in the market. This is my wish list, but I have 0 expectation I would see any of these as updates to my car:
  • 3D camera views. Tesla is the only car I know missing this. Seems like it would be a no-brainer with their emphasis on Tesla Vision. Even its core rear view is worse than about every other car available today. Hyundai's, for example, is freakin' awesome. The lack of this feature makes the Tesla way harder to park in tight spots than about every other car on the market.
  • Better lane changing UX on the basic autopilot. The basic autopilot lane changing is clumsy at best. Every other car in this class either automatically changes lanes with the turn signal or at least does not disengage and allows the driver to manually change lanes with the blinker while staying engaged.
  • Cross traffic warning. I do not know of a car made today missing this.
  • SiriusXM. The MY and M3 are two of a very tiny handful of cars in all of cardom missing SXM.
  • Head-up display. Ditto, the My & M3 are among a very tiny class of cars without this feature.
  • CarPlay/Android Auto. Tesla is the only manufacturer I know without CP/AA. On its best day, Tesla's navigation is a distant forth place in the world behind Google, Waze, and Apple Maps. (And Apple Maps is pretty mediocre compared to the top two.) At least it is better than almost every other car's built-in nav, but all those cars have CarPlay.
  • Cooled seats. I was pretty surprised to discover that the Tesla lacks this. It is only luxury car I know without.
  • Better blind spot alerting. Tesla has it, but it is the worst in the market. It's situational awareness and response is relatively ineffective.
The list of other missing, comparative tablestakes features is probably longer than above. It is reasonable that most people buying their first Tesla would miss a few and be a bit surprised and disappointed.
Why would you want practical things like that, when instead, you can make your car have farting sounds?? Jeez. Some people.

Always good to reverse into parking spot.
Easier to use the Frunk
I also always reverse in when out and about.

Surveys have found that it is a lot safer to back in, and drive straight out of a parking spot, than it is to drive straight in, and reverse out.

Also....The front cameras have a much larger FOV, so if someone hits your car while away, there is a much bigger chance, you got their license plate on the sentry footage.

With regards to the rear cross traffic alert.

The cars i have seen that has this feature is the ones that also has a radar mounted in each of the back corners.

My previous cheapy chinese EV had this...It actually had 3 radars more than the Tesla..

One in the front for ACC and one in each rear corner for RTA.

It also used those radars for LCA / LCW (Lane change) but it had no camera or radar/ultrasonic sensors on the side, so while it saw a car on the side of my car "in good time" as soon as the car was on the side of my car, it would stop warning me about it, because the radar could not see it anymore.

Honestly, i dont care what Elon says, i would have prefered radars for RTA and ACC over his camera based system.

Reactions: poundsand
I'm still not sold on backing into spaces in most cases. If I'm trying to pull forward out of a spot and there is a large pickup or SUV either side of me, I can't see anything to the side until my car is a good 1/3 of the way out of the spot. If I'm reversing out of the spot, my Model 3's rear camera has a wide enough field of view that I can at least somewhat see to the side even while I am still fully in the space.

Reactions: Kupe