TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear Cross Traffic Warning?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dcclappers, Apr 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dcclappers

dcclappers Member

Is there hope that this is a future upgrade? Have a 2017 S60 AP2. Seems like a pretty achievable upgrade and I had on my Lexus 3 years ago. That and blind spot warnings would be nice.

2. Max*

Max* Charging

Isn't cross traffic detection typically done with radar?

Sonar would only give you so much distance (not too useful), and I'm not sure if the camera's are positioned well enough that when you're backing out of a space they can see the cross traffic before it's too late (aren't the side cameras on the B-pillars?)

• Like x 1
  3. dcclappers

dcclappers Member

Not sure, but have it on a GMC Yukon and as I said previous Lexus, and I don't believe those vehicles use Radar??? Surely the technology on the Tesla is on par or exceeds those manufacturers.

4. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Whatever the required technology would be, I think the absence of this on the Tesla vehicles is one of the worst omissions in the feature set, especially because of the severely limited outward visibility to the rear on the Model S (at least). This is not new technology and I have always been disappointed it was missing.

• Like x 1
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

They do use radar, actually. Tesla is one of the few manufacturers that uses ultrasonics instead of rear quarter panel radar to perform blind spot detection.

I mean perhaps some day when the side cameras are activated, the car can provide similar protection using vision, but right now Teslas simply don't have the sensors to do rear cross traffic detection.

• Like x 2
  6. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Cross traffic detection would be so nice...

7. Safariari

Safariari New Member

I'm also very disappointed regarding both the cross traffic as well as blind spot detection warning. I had gotten used to the additional alerts on our Volvo XC60 and it feels like a big step backward not to have it. I rode in a Honda Uber ride last week and it popped up a view of the side lane every time the turn signal was used. Tesla seems remarkably behind the curve in this regard.

My configuration included the advanced autopilot which is described as including 12 sonar detectors that provide 360 degree coverage but does that only work when activated?

2018 S100D

8. Bebop

Bebop Member

The fact the car does not even have blind spot warnings yet is shocking. Really is.

• Like x 3
  9. Kevin Bohacz

Kevin Bohacz Supporting Member

I agree...

Plus all newer Teslas with thier 8 cameras have 360 degree coverage with a very clear view of the sides and rear of the car. Why can’t we at least have access to what the cameras see?

• Like x 1
  10. Kevin Bohacz

My 2017 Chevy Volt uses ultrasonic for cross traffic and back up car/pedestrian detection... if my Chevy Volt can do it, so can Tesla...No?

• Informative x 1
  11. croman

croman Active Member

Tesla does use sonar. Rear cross traffic has been much discussed. Frankly isn't s concern for me. I use the great back up camera image in parking lots and listen to the sonar pings. Works fine.

12. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

14. Kevin Bohacz

15. GWord

GWord Member

Tesla would probably argue that they do have it, in that the sonar returns of a detected object do show up on the little car avatar (sort of). My problem is that it isn't in a convenient place to quickly glance and that there isn't enough hysteresis to filter in a weak return. A nice fix might be something like lighting the appropriate corner of the instrument cluster in a similar manner as to how the whole thing lights white when you need to hold the wheel.

16. croman

croman Active Member

Did you make that suggestion to Tesla or tweet Elon? I'm not kidding, it might work.

17. GWord

GWord Member

There's a thought. I don't use Twitter but I guess I could email it to them. I'll do that this afternoon.

• Like x 1
  18. croman

croman Active Member

I'll tweet Elon, but someone like @bonnie would probably get this attention more readily than me.

I think that your suggestion is something Tesla could deliver that would put people at more ease with lane changes though I think with the upcoming use of the repeater cameras, they probably will have a game changer in terms of performance, including truly automatic lane changing (with AP2/2.5) and I'd hope that they would've thought out a good way to communicate that information to the driver.