Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear deck cutout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this... has anyone identified if this is a new part #? If it's not too expensive I would probably order one and retrofit it to my August 2018 build car as I suspect this cuts down on the amount of ambient noise that can be heard from loose objects in the trunk of the Model 3. In mine I can even hear zippers rattle from a jacket or backpack since the mesh material over the pass-through has pretty much no sound dampening characteristics.

In another thread, can't recall where, the mystery was partially solved. It appears the trunk deck material (above the metal) is some type of fiber board and there is a 'punch out' section where the rear deck cutout is. For whatever reason some cars don't have this section punched out. Possibly a faulty stamping or assembly error, it is not clear.

I stuffed a sweatshirt in mine and measured the sound before and after and no measurable difference, but I did the test with an empty trunk. I did notice the bass may have been slightly less punchy but still sounded good. Did not notice any issues with HVAC, but I didn't really focus on that.

Reactions: mswlogo
Mine has the fine mesh that looks like a window from the bottom. Part of the design it to allow the base to come in from the trunk mounted subwoofer. Maybe some cars are now shipping without the premium sound. No subwoofer no need for the cut out.

Mine has the fine mesh that looks like a window from the bottom. Part of the design it to allow the base to come in from the trunk mounted subwoofer. Maybe some cars are now shipping without the premium sound. No subwoofer no need for the cut out.

I believe the cut out serves another purpose in addition to a bass port (HVAC ventilation through rear trunk vents), although not sure why it needs to be so large. I've seen two examples online of the deck remaining covered and both had premium sound.

I believe the cut out serves another purpose in addition to a bass port (HVAC ventilation through rear trunk vents), although not sure why it needs to be so large. I've seen two examples online of the deck remaining covered and both had premium sound.

The Model 3 can move a lot of air, quite a bit more than our old Volvo S80 which had a very nice cabin climate control. This feature is something my wife and I have found lacking on a lot of other cars (good airflow). You could make it smaller but it would reduce the efficiency and volume of airflow through the cabin.

Possible road noise suppression.

Not enough "road noise" comes through that tiny cut-out to make a difference. Road noise is transmitted through the entire chassis and cabin structure. Blocking that little cutout in the rear deck isn't going to be noticeable (except it will ever so slightly reduce the volume from the sub-woofer). It will also cause less air to flow through the cabin for any given fan speed.

This certainly won't help resolve anything but I just took delivery a midrange M3 built June 2019, and it has no cutout at all.

I mentioned to a friend with a LR AWD M3 that I wasn't convinced my car has the premium sound (it's supposed to - full premium interior) and we started poking around. The software is consistent with premium sound and we confirmed that the subwoofer and amp are in the trunk & active. While looking in the trunk he noticed the solid metal panel in my car (image attached) and described the cutout in his slightly older (I think it was built Feb or Mar 2019) car.

I'm curious how other fresh-off-the-assembly-line cars look. If you recently took delivery do you have the cutout or the solid metal panel?

MR-062019-M3.jpg

This certainly won't help resolve anything but I just took delivery a midrange M3 built June 2019, and it has no cutout at all.

I mentioned to a friend with a LR AWD M3 that I wasn't convinced my car has the premium sound (it's supposed to - full premium interior) and we started poking around. The software is consistent with premium sound and we confirmed that the subwoofer and amp are in the trunk & active. While looking in the trunk he noticed the solid metal panel in my car (image attached) and described the cutout in his slightly older (I think it was built Feb or Mar 2019) car.

I'm curious how other fresh-off-the-assembly-line cars look. If you recently took delivery do you have the cutout or the solid metal panel?

View attachment 425750

Holy smoke. Did you check if you have a subwoofer?

I’d love to know more about this because I’m curious how safe it is to block the old cutout. But they might have rerouted air flow.

While looking in the trunk he noticed the solid metal panel in my car (image attached) and described the cutout in his slightly older (I think it was built Feb or Mar 2019) car.

That solid panel should help a lot with blocking noise from the trunk. I keep boxes in the trunk for groceries and it's very annoying to hear them sliding around. I wonder if this change could indicate that Tesla is starting to make cabin noise improvements to the 3. Has your friend sat in your car while driving to see if the solid deck improves noise isolation?

This certainly won't help resolve anything but I just took delivery a midrange M3 built June 2019, and it has no cutout at all...

View attachment 425750

Wow! 2 things: How did you order, get made a mid-range in June 2019? Thought they stopped making them? And then there’s the no cutout! There goes the needing to move air theory...

My 5/23/2019 born SR has cutout with mesh cover, so did my 4/2019 born SR+ I returned.