Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear deck cutout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, if I see something that's new to me, I automatically assume it must not be any good.

After all, I'm familiar with the old way of doing things so everything different must be inferior or wrong, right?
. Well the interior sound of the Model 3 is clearly wrong judging by the number of people complaining about it. We're simply trying to make some improvements. Thanks for contributing your thoughts to that end.

So I guess the question is....are the cars without the baffle missing something or was the baffle something that Tesla tried and decided against?
Nobody outside of Tesla knows, but my guess is that they are simply trying to do something about the noise that some people have been complaining about. Just one more small change after many others that they have already made.

How did the Noico turn out? Did you get any measurable noise reduction?

It’s is quieter for sure but still too loud in my opinion. I have put noico everywhere that I can without dismantling the car too much (trunk, frunk, front doors, rear shelf), put in rpm wind kit, and added seals to all doors.

It’s now better than an economy car but not as good as a true entry level luxury car. I didn’t do any measurements.

OP here - looking back at the material, it almost, looks like a charcoal filter, so I wonder if it helps with air filtration.
Well, given that the air is pulled in at the front by the HVAC fans and flows out the back, that would clean the air in the trunk. Can't really think of a good reason to do that unless you keep a kitten litter in the trunk cubby. ;)

But another question: is this piece easily removable? If yes, could you check if there is a part number printed on it somewhere?

Reactions: Magnets!
Where are the rear side exit portlets. I pull out the carpet to put in noico and didn’t see any holes. Hopefully I didn’t block the portlet holes with noico...

Chuckie, I found this pic (borrowed from another thread) which shows the left side vent...on the side of the car behind the rear bumper cover.

rear vent pic.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: badronald
Chuckie, I found this pic (borrowed from another thread) which shows the left side vent...on the side of the car behind the rear bumper cover.

View attachment 375004
Thanks!

Looks like the air comes from the top side and down. I covered the floor and sides in the middle tub so should be ok.

I did remove the noico and replaced it with some breathable foam after see this thread.

Reactions: Magnets!
The size of the cut-out is dictated by the design airflow volume at maximum climate control fan speed.
The placement is the same as on my Volvo S80 and
I can't really think of a more appropriate location so I'm not really following you there.
When I travel with passengers, in general the trunk is often filled to the brim.
So there is no air circulation in the trunk.

IMO, a better location would be on each side of the car cabin
around the area where the top of the rear seat belt are anchored.

hqdefault.jpg

When I travel with passengers, in general the trunk is often filled to the brim.
So there is no air circulation in the trunk.

IMO, a better location would be on each side of the car cabin
around the area where the top of the rear seat belt are anchored.

That would be a better location only if you didn't want the trunk contents to be climate controlled. Having the cabin air exit through the center of the rear deck has the advantage of having climate controlled cabin air circulate around the trunk contents before exiting to the exit portlets under both ends of the rear bumper cover. In hot weather, the cooled air from the cabin will control solar heat buildup in the top of the trunk helping to protect the contents of the trunk from extreme temperatures. In wet/cold or freezing weather, warmed cabin air similarly keeps the trunk and its contents warmer and drier. If the cabin air exited near the rear pillars it could not naturally flow through the trunk contents before exiting. And the air vent shown in the photo is truly anemic looking, even if there are two of them. Are you sure it's not just a speaker grill? The Model 3 is designed with very nice airflow, something my wife and I demand ever since we had a Subaru with terribly anemic airflow.

As to having a trunk so full that the contents might block the airflow, you will see that even after cramming as much stuff as possible in there, there is still a little room at the top for air circulation. It doesn't take much. The shape of the top of the trunk pretty much ensures there will naturally be little gaps above the load. The only way it could be an issue is if the entire top of the trunk was stuffed with a soft, compressible item like a loose sleeping bag or clothing. I recommend that be avoided anyway for a number of reasons.

That would be a better location only if you didn't want the trunk contents to be climate controlled.
Having the cabin air exit through the center of the rear deck has the advantage of having climate controlled cabin air
circulate around the trunk contents before exiting to the exit portlets under both ends of the rear bumper cover.
This is interesting, but I doubt that any car manufacturer might worry too much about trunk content.
In the case of hot air, if the car is not in motion, which is the majority of the case,
the hot air will accumulate on the top of the trunk, so there would be no air circulation.

I think that providing air circulation in the trunk might be an added safety protection in case someone get abducted
in the trunk. There is now a mandatory emergency release, but if the car is in motion, it would not
be safe to open the trunk, or the person might also be unconscious, or it's just a pet, so the opening would prevent
to not not suffocate, and protect the car maker from liability ?

And the air vent shown in the photo is truly anemic looking, even if there are two of them.
Are you sure it's not just a speaker grill?
It was just a picture that I found from the Internet to give a better idea of the location that I was thinking about.
I don't think there was any vent. About the black area, I think that you are right about been a speaker.

I noticed that the Ford Escape hybrid SUV had an opening for the battery on the left side.
I just assume that this was an exit for the hot air when parked, but it could have been the other way around
to get clean fresh air to the battery fan and then using a vent inside the rear bumper to release the hot air?

Ford Escape .jpg

The Model 3 is designed with very nice airflow, something my wife and I demand ever since we had a Subaru with terribly anemic airflow.

As to having a trunk so full that the contents might block the airflow, you will see that even after cramming as much stuff as possible in there, there is still a little room at the top for air circulation. It doesn't take much. The shape of the top of the trunk pretty much ensures there will naturally be little gaps above the load. The only way it could be an issue is if the entire top of the trunk was stuffed with a soft, compressible item like a loose sleeping bag or clothing. I recommend that be avoided anyway for a number of reasons.

I wonder then how work then the air re-circulation in a car? If I follow your explanation,
the air should flow from the back of the car, or from the trunk, and then go back to the front,
to pass through the AC to remove the moister, and the heater if needed.
You would need an air duck in this case from the trunk to the front of the cabin?

In the case of the Model 3, I noticed some air vents under the front seats.
I wonder if those vents are not used for the air re-circulation, since there is no foot air control for the air passengers,
only the air vents on the middle console where the two USB plugs are located.
But there must still be a mix of outside fresh air to avoid high concentration of CO2.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
The air does not flow back into the car after exiting the rear vents....vents are nothing new in cars...been around for ages. You simply can't pump air into a sealed box efficiently. The only thing unusual about the Model 3 in this regard is the large deck cut out...I've never seen that before, although I've learned on this thread that Volvo does something similar.

I wonder then how work then the air re-circulation in a car? If I follow your explanation,
the air should flow from the back of the car, or from the trunk, and then go back to the front,
to pass through the AC to remove the moister, and the heater if needed.
You would need an air duck in this case from the trunk to the front of the cabin?
No, in recirc mode the air is simply pulled from the cabin interior. The trunk does not actively participate in the loop (although there will be some passive air exchange through the vent on the rear deck). Also, no air will be sucked in through the exterior air vents in the trunk even if somehow underpressure builds up inside the car, since the vents have flaps that act as a one-way valve.

I wonder then how work then the air re-circulation in a car?

Recirculate simply draws some air from the cabin and mixes it with some fresh air. So there is still an overall front-to-back movement of air but it's volume is reduced because some of the air is drawn from within the cabin. I don't know the exact location but I imagine it is down low.
In the case of the Model 3, I noticed some air vents under the front seats.
I wonder if those vents are not used for the air re-circulation, since there is no foot air control for the air passengers,
only the air vents on the middle console where the two USB plugs are located.

Could be, I haven't checked those out.