Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Defrost Line Damaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When getting my back window tinted I specifically asked for it to be done in 1 piece yet the shop tinted it in 2 pieces with the seam along the defrost line. Upon inspection it appeared a section of the defrost line had been cut and was missing, the owner stated it wasn't it was just where there was no tint on the seam. He re-tinted in one piece and now its clear the section is missing in addition to a couple other places. Does anyone know if the defrost line can be reapplied or if a new window would have to be installed. I would not want to replace the window if that's the case. Thanks for any insight.

Does anyone know if the defrost line can be reapplied or if a new window would have to be installed. I would not want to replace the window if that's the case. Thanks for any insight.

There are repair kits out there that can reestablish electrical continuity for damaged grids, but the are not the same as the factory job. I would not want a new car to have an obviously damaged grid visible every time I look in the rear view mirror.

The shop already did you wrong by not using the one-piece film as ordered. I would let them pay to have Tesla (not them!!) replace the rear glass ($$$$) and then have some place else do the tint.

And I would let everyone in the area know about the problems you had.

When getting my back window tinted I specifically asked for it to be done in 1 piece yet the shop tinted it in 2 pieces with the seam along the defrost line. Upon inspection it appeared a section of the defrost line had been cut and was missing, the owner stated it wasn't it was just where there was no tint on the seam. He re-tinted in one piece and now its clear the section is missing in addition to a couple other places. Does anyone know if the defrost line can be reapplied or if a new window would have to be installed. I would not want to replace the window if that's the case. Thanks for any insight.
Make sure you're looking at the actual defroster lines and not the radio antennas. The rear windshield contains both and the antennas do not connect from side to side.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There are repair kits out there that can reestablish electrical continuity for damaged grids, but the are not the same as the factory job. I would not want a new car to have an obviously damaged grid visible every time I look in the rear view mirror.

The shop already did you wrong by not using the one-piece film as ordered. I would let them pay to have Tesla (not them!!) replace the rear glass ($$$$) and then have some place else do the tint.

And I would let everyone in the area know about the problems you had.
Well they also scratched the outside chrome trim and that is on order. Once I receive the chrome which Tesla will install I will bring up the defrost line again and go from there... I have already spoken with my CC company about disputing the charge and plan to file a case with the Better Business Bureau if needed as well write reviews on Yelp and FB. He had my car a total of 4 days for the tint job, its been a nightmare to say the least and the real kicker is not once has the owner apologized for any of this.

Make sure you're looking at the actual defroster lines and not the radio antennas. The rear windshield contains both and the antennas do not connect from side to side.
How can you tell which is the defrost vs antennae? The main damage is along the very top line where the seam was running horizontal and is not visible from outside, there is an original gap in the middle of the glass where the line doesn't connect. The other section missing is about an inch and is toward the right lower section running vertical.

How can you tell which is the defrost vs antennae? The main damage is along the very top line where the seam was running horizontal and is not visible from outside, there is an original gap in the middle of the glass where the line doesn't connect. The other section missing is about an inch and is toward the right lower section running vertical.
Pictures are worth a thousand words

Attachments

• 20181005_143335.jpg
    20181005_143335.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 471
  • 20181005_143326.jpg
    20181005_143326.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 20181005_143258.jpg
    20181005_143258.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 387
The wife has the Model 3 out at the moment, so I can't go look at it, but I believe the topmost lines are antenna and not part of the defroster.

It's probably worth going to the service center and asking if they can determine if anything is damaged. I know there are intentional gaps in some of the conductive material.

Reactions: C141medic
Why is it that every time I'm thinking about getting the tint job done, a thread like this pop up. I think it's trying to tell me something.

To the OP, sorry to hear about the issues. Read multiple threads of this already, that really sucks.

Spyderdawg, same sitch, just got my TM3 tinted and now two grid lines on the rear defroster don't work. Just wondering how you ended up resolving the issue, or is it still unresolved?

Any feedback is very much appreciated...
Still haven't resolved the issue. There are a few repairs to patch the defrost line with permatex being one I know of. Plan as of now is to have the tint removed, hopefully no more damage in the process, apply the permatex and retint. I will update this thread once complete... fingers crossed