Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Defrost Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all! I just had a window issue with my Model Y and had some tech support over the phone. Whist fixing the issue they asked me to check on something to see it if was enabled ‘Enable Rear Defrost’. On my car it was not. The service tech told me a lot of new MYs left the factory with this disabled and told me to enable it. There have been a number of threads regarding the rear defrost so this might be the answer.

To get into service mode: Click on Software, then hold down your finger on the Model Y logo. Let go and then enter ‘service’ as the password. Then click on ‘Closures - Windows’ and you will see the enable rear defrost icon. If it has a green outline it’s enabled, if not click on it to activate.

View attachment 887392
Thank you Morpheus84 for taking the time to post this helpful topic! I followed your steps on my 2021 Model Y LRDM and got the rear defroster to work. This Tesla community is the best!

Reactions: Morpheus84
Thank you Morpheus84 for taking the time to post this helpful topic! I followed your steps on my 2021 Model Y LRDM and got the rear defroster to work. This Tesla community is the best!
does yours only partially defrost like this?

20230121_104028.jpg

Thank you Morpheus84! I just tried this on my 2018 Model 3 and it was still disabled. No wonder I've never been satisfied with its performance! :) I was behind another 3 in the snow last weekend and my rear window wasn't clearing and theirs was nicely melted away. That caught my attention!

The attached pics are of the rear window before and after the defroster was turned on for just a few seconds. (the orange on the left side is a reflection of the tree above)

Attachments

• 20230202T090433.JPG
    20230202T090433.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230202T093621.JPG
    20230202T093621.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: Morpheus84
I had no issue with the rear window on my March 2022 Model Y. I hadn't updated from 2022.20, which did not have "Closures" as an option in the service menu. This weekend, I updated to 2023.2. Noticed that the option in service menu for closures was now present, but rear window NOT active. Had to select it to activate it.

I wonder if recent deliveries with more up-to-date software have it defaulted to off? Bizarre if true!