Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defrost strips falling off window after 17 mos. Tesla wants $820.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if my drivetrain fails, Tesla quotes me $15,000, (I assume it would be warranty), then Tesla says “sorry not covered, please pay $15k and we already completed the work so you can’t back out now” I would be furious
Yeah, that was my thought. Not a good look on Tesla's part, and for those with contracts background, feels predatory.

But this is my first time having to bring the car to a service center in about a year, and the posters above seem to think it is normal practice.

But this is my first time having to bring the car to a service center in about a year, and the posters above seem to think it is normal practice.
Earlier advice given was smart: do not sign the out of warranty cost agreement at home. That way when you arrive at the SC they will ask for your signature if they do not intend to repair under warranty and you then can agree or walk. I agree that Tesla should act this way as a matter of course.

Earlier advice given was smart: do not sign the out of warranty cost agreement at home. That way when you arrive at the SC they will ask for your signature if they do not intend to repair under warranty and you then can agree or walk. I agree that Tesla should act this way as a matter of course.
Yeah, that's why I posted the thread. Wasn't going to sign but wanted to make sure others agreed it should be covered as a warranty repair so I can walk into the SC confident and ready to argue if need be :)

The only way to fix this is to replace the rear glass. Unless, somehow, some coating is coming off, but the actual filament is still intact.

I can’t imagine someone in the USA using rear defrost this time of year, unless you are trying to dry up morning dew, and then it wouldn’t be 90 degrees outside, but morning cool like 65-70F (18-21C).

Agree that this should be warranty. Let’s see what tesla says.

Reactions: ladysbff
That’ll be covered under warranty for sure. That estimate they send is really confusing - I wish they would put a (TBD) or something there instead of a $$$ amount. It’ll be covered - this is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Please be sure to update this thread and let us know how it goes!
exactly.
When I used to have an AUdi A6- and it had to oftent go to repair- i was always given a priced quote each time , even for warranty covered items. Quite annoying

I recently had a warranty repair, regarding paint and rusting. The cost estimate showed $0 prior to me acknowledging. I agree with the others, to wait until they confirm it either is or isn’t covered before approving.

When they text you for your appt, you can try replying to the text ahead of time to save yourself the hassle of driving over there. I suspect they are just waiting to see if there’s anything you did to affect the part before claiming it as a warranty repair.

This is from the owner’s manual. This is probably what evoked the initial quote.

Interior Glass
Do not scrape, or use any abrasive cleaning fluid on glass or mirrored surfaces. This can damage the reflective surface of the mirror and the heating elements in the rear window.

Did Tesla ask you to the pay the $820?
No.

Did a real human being that works at Tesla give you that estimate?
No.

You are spreading fake news, and congratulations, your post is now trending on Reddit and will be picked up soon by anti-Tesla websites with the headline:

---

No one wants $820. It will be covered under warranty. The app just automatically shows an estimate of repair costs. Warranty determines who will pay it. In this case, Tesla will pay the $820.

Tesla is covering under warranty!

First thing the Glass Tech said was “Holy Smokes.” They asked a lot of questions, wondering if I’d scraped it or had it tinted etc. But then they saw where the heat strips were just falling off on their own in random places. As they started to quietly discuss among themselves whether it would be covered under warranty, I overheard the word "warranty" and quickly mentioned posting it online and what the responses were.... :oops::D Thanks everyone!

Also, they were going to give me a loaner but I offered to take an Uber voucher since they said it would be a quick fix. Service Advisor and Glass Tech who helped me were helpful and pleasant. Surprisingly great visit - maybe I read too much TMC?

Did Tesla ask you to the pay the $820?
No.

Did a real human being that works at Tesla give you that estimate?
No.

You are spreading fake news, and congratulations, your post is now trending on Reddit and will be picked up soon by anti-Tesla websites with the headline:

---

No one wants $820. It will be covered under warranty. The app just automatically shows an estimate of repair costs. Warranty determines who will pay it. In this case, Tesla will pay the $820.
Thanks for letting me know and thanks also for the disagrees!

Feel free to repost my update there.

Tesla is covering under warranty!

First thing the Glass Tech said was “Holy Smokes.” They asked a lot of questions, wondering if I’d scraped it or had it tinted etc. But then they saw where the heat strips were just falling off on their own in random places. As they started to quietly discuss among themselves whether it would be covered under warranty, I overheard the word "warranty" and quickly mentioned posting it online and what the responses were.... :oops::D Thanks everyone!

Also, they were going to give me a loaner but I offered to take an Uber voucher since they said it would be a quick fix. Service Advisor and Glass Tech who helped me were helpful and pleasant. Surprisingly great visit - maybe I read too much TMC?

Is that a rear glass replacement or do they have the ability to just put new defroster lines on?

Ski