Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defroster doesn't operate above 74* ambient temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I noticed shortly after getting my M3 that the rear defroster didn't seem to be working in the mornings when it was fogged up from dew. I added it to my growing list of service items. After waiting weeks I finally got it in and this is what the service result said. So, I guess us Tesla owners in humid and hot climates are SOL. How about fixing the damn rear window problem with a redesign instead of a band aid?
Screenshot_20190815-101536.png
IMG_20190815_055225.jpg
IMG_20190815_055212.jpg

I live in FL as well and noticed this issue back in May after I picked up my AWD model. Oddly enough the onscreen controls indicate that it is in fact on, but as we both know this isn't the case. Anyhow, this matter could easily be resolved with a software update.

Oh man assuming that's true, that is the first real bummer for me and the M3 ... I noticed it working intermittently a while ago and then it stopped altogether and I just assumed it was a fault and figure a fix would be pretty simple. I may ask service just to see if I get the same answer and also to raise awareness within Tesla -- this is a real issue for us warm/wet climate folks. It's gonna be a long time before the temperature drops to 74 here ... Of course, we could always just turn on the rear wiper, oh, wait!:(

Reactions: LandToSea
Oh man assuming that's true, that is the first real bummer for me and the M3 ... I noticed it working intermittently a while ago and then it stopped altogether and I just assumed it was a fault and figure a fix would be pretty simple. I may ask service just to see if I get the same answer and also to raise awareness within Tesla -- this is a real issue for us warm/wet climate folks. It's gonna be a long time before the temperature drops to 74 here ... Of course, we could always just turn on the rear wiper, oh, wait!:(
Use the rear camera in the morning until the dew is dried off from driving.

No joy on that ... need a quick glance through the window to see road/vehicle conditions, don't want to have to reach, take my eyes off the road to activate the ability to see behind me ... they should really fix this -- it's a safety concern. The other obvious thing is, if you're disabling the device, then don't have the icon come on like the device is actually working, even stupider ...

Reactions: LandToSea and VT_EE
No joy on that ... need a quick glance through the window to see road/vehicle conditions, don't want to have to reach, take my eyes off the road to activate the ability to see behind me ... they should really fix this -- it's a safety concern. The other obvious thing is, if you're disabling the device, then don't have the icon come on like the device is actually working, even stupider ...

I agree fully. Anyway, the camera lens also is unusable as it also gets dew on it.