Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defroster not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Can someone please explain how to get this covered under warranty? I’ve only had my Tesla for 2 weeks now and they are telling me that rear defroster is not covered. I did nothing to the glass (like tinting) and they haven’t even looked at my car, just gave me a quote for $700 on the app.
How many miles have you driven on the car? If it is under 100 miles usually they cover it as part of delivery defects. Did you send pictures along with your request? Make sure it is clear it is a delivery defect (not something you possibly could have done on your own). I had no problem getting a cut in the defroster line covered myself, but I reported it the next day after delivery when I had more time to examine things in detail.

How many miles have you driven on the car? If it is under 100 miles usually they cover it as part of delivery defects. Did you send pictures along with your request? Make sure it is clear it is a delivery defect (not something you possibly could have done on your own). I had no problem getting a cut in the defroster line covered myself, but I reported it the next day after delivery when I had more time to examine things in detail.
I’ve driven 98 miles so far. I now have to wait to talk to one of their service people on Monday. I wil keep you all posted.

I’ve driven 98 miles so far. I now have to wait to talk to one of their service people on Monday. I wil keep you all posted.
Keep a record and screen shots that you reported the problem while it was still under 98 miles. That way there is no dispute over it (in case you need to travel to the service center and it adds more miles).

Not sure how your damage was, but mine was a cut that may have been done by a box cutter. I looked it up and this type of damage typically is done when they may be using cutters to remove protective wrapping from the car as part of delivery process and accidentally cutting the line.

Hello,

Can someone please explain how to get this covered under warranty? I’ve only had my Tesla for 2 weeks now and they are telling me that rear defroster is not covered. I did nothing to the glass (like tinting) and they haven’t even looked at my car, just gave me a quote for $700 on the app.
App estimates seem to presume that the customer is responsible for the charges.

If the car is still under warranty and you didn’t do anything to the defroster to cause the defect, it would be covered.

Reactions: rpiotro
Agree with above. My rear defroster stopped working, they quoted me some lot of money as an estimate and explained that they do that in case there had been some damage to the glass (and therefore the defroster not working was not Tesla's fault). When I brought in the car they saw that the glass had not been damaged and updated the estimate to $0. They replaced the glass and some other electronic component for free under warranty.

Reactions: Zcd1
Agree with above. My rear defroster stopped working, they quoted me some lot of money as an estimate and explained that they do that in case there had been some damage to the glass (and therefore the defroster not working was not Tesla's fault). When I brought in the car they saw that the glass had not been damaged and updated the estimate to $0. They replaced the glass and some other electronic component for free under warranty.
Hey, thanks for the reply. They did something similar for me. I told them through the app that I did absolutely nothing to the car and that I only had it for 2 weeks or so and they brought the estimate to 0. I couldn’t be happier, while I was a little mad at first they came through for me and I can see why they have such a good customer service rating.

First storm of the winter and my rear defroster (Model S LR 2022) is not working. This will be my 3rd service visit in 3 months of ownership. 4 if you include the replacement for my roof glass that was cracked during delivery. 1st service was to fix the improperly sealed roof glass (not resolved). 2nd was to fix the driver's door handle that wouldn't open the car.

I've owned 20+ vehicles and this Model S is among the worst in terms of build quality.