Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear defroster ribbon cable broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While installing the rear camera, I snapped the very thin ribbon cable to the rear defroster, or maybe radio, though I can still receive radio station.

Has anyone had this happen? It looks like it’s attached directly to the rear one piece window.

is there a way to repair this without replacing the entire rear window?

Attachments

• B72700E6-5461-47EA-8EF9-DB1AE36902BC.jpeg
    B72700E6-5461-47EA-8EF9-DB1AE36902BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Thank you for responding. Do you have the part number for the ribbon cable that goes from this Amplifier to the glass?

I did confirm it’s not defroster. My defroster lines still work per FLIR.
A2898117-CEF2-4DE2-85CA-8C8A85FFC1AC.jpeg

My FM radio also works . I’m guessing the sensitivity is probably where it suffers when I tore the ribbon connection.
FFDEB7E9-FE0D-47B2-BD63-C73944D89B9A.jpeg

It's the radio, Tesla somehow broke mine during service work and needed to replace the rear glass to fix it properly.

nooooooo.....not replacing the entire glass! I just got it tinted too! I'll probably have to live with it and hope this is only affecting FM reception.

It looks like the base of the ribbon cable may be able to be peeled off of the glass and replacement be stuck back on. The ribbon cable is very thin and fragile, so it's a bad design if you have to replace the glass each time the ribbon is broken.

Did you get your glass replaced?

Last edited:
Pull the connector and see how many conductors it uses.

If it is only one or two wires you may be able to strip the ribbon on the window side an solder up an extension wire. If it is the antenna it may only be one line and a shield.

OTH, if it has a bunch of lines this approach likely won't work well.

I finally got a chance to scrape off the ribbon cable sticker from the rear glass.

There are 2 contacts under neath, so no glass replacement needed!

Now, if someone can help me find the passenger side ribbon cable part number then I can se see if they’ll sell me that part

Attachments

• 4BD50C82-C2EF-4C76-805C-EB6E08AFB5B5.jpeg
    4BD50C82-C2EF-4C76-805C-EB6E08AFB5B5.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 282
  • E1EA7C6C-6674-4EC2-B73B-4F0767B00E53.jpeg
    E1EA7C6C-6674-4EC2-B73B-4F0767B00E53.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 280
nooooooo.....not replacing the entire glass! I just got it tinted too! I'll probably have to live with it and hope this is only affecting FM reception.

It looks like the base of the ribbon cable may be able to be peeled off of the glass and replacement be stuck back on. The ribbon cable is very thin and fragile, so it's a bad design if you have to replace the glass each time the ribbon is broken.

Did you get your glass replaced?

Yeah, Tesla replaced the entire glass panel with a new one just to fix this.

I finally got a chance to scrape off the ribbon cable sticker from the rear glass.

There are 2 contacts under neath, so no glass replacement needed!

Now, if someone can help me find the passenger side ribbon cable part number then I can se see if they’ll sell me that part
A tint shop just accidentally ripped off that cable sticker on the driver side of my rear window. Is it replaceable? When you took it off does it look like just a any regular 3M sticker/tape?