TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear diffuser - two flavors

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by brianman, Jun 17, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Chrome and black. I didn't (should have...) look close to see if it was matte or glossy black. I think glossy.

This is the first I've seen or heard of a non-chrome rear diffuser being available.

I usually rescale pictures for the forum, but in this case I figured folks might want to have a few more pixels to pore over.

RearDiffuser.jpg

2. youlikeadajuice

It is glossy black, and it is what comes with the non-tech package cars. The front "whiskers" near the fog lights are also black instead of chrome.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Odd that this is the first I've heard of both. Thanks for the info!

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

ah I didn't realize that was the 'non-tech' package vs the 'tech' package. It's not like they mention this on the website anywhere. at one point, I thought the whole bottom area was supposed to be carbon fiber for the Performance models, and that the chrome diffuser was only for the Performance models, but then as I saw non-performance models with the same chrome diffuser I just thought they used that on all cars. I didn't realize that there was black diffusers in the back and up front by the lights on non-tech packages.

5. Mordi

Mordi Member

That's funny - people are paying good money to black out those items.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah, true that!
    This is news to me as we'll.
    One member black wrapped the nose cone ring... I assumed he also wrapped the other elements on the front end too. Since all he talked about was the ring, I suspect he received then the non tech package - for that more complete blacked out look.

7. Sancann

Sancann Member

#7 Sancann, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    I paid to have all the chrome blacked out with the exception of the two Tesla T's. I just looked at Hometheatremaven's car and he doesn't have the chrome on whiskers and diffuser. I never noticed that prior.

I guess I made my car look as if I don't have the tech package. Oh well...