Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door glass spontaneously shattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this article, and I've been almost waiting daily for this to happen to my car - Watch This Tesla Model Y Window Shatter On Its Own While Parked In Garage

The reason why I expect mine to fail is because even after resetting every door window, I notice an extraordinary amount of pressure between the door glass and the upper window channel, e.g., after I shut the door, I can visually see the door take the pressure of the glass closing and slightly push the entire downwards. I simply don't know how long the doors can take this kind of stress, especially as the body of the vehicle flexes during driving. My 2019 Beetle with frameless doors and the same partial-quick-open/close of the door glass does not exhibit this issue in any way, with nowhere near the amount of pressure between the glass and the door channel as my MY. This is a software issue, and I feel if Tesla would back off how much these door glasses press into the channel when closed, it may relieve the spontaneous shattering issue.

My biggest concern is that this happens to my MY on travel, while sub-freezing out, and no way to fix outside of plastic and duct-tape because the nearest Tesla SC is hundreds of miles away, and rear door glass stock is probably not same-day lying in their parts depot. This is where the lack of Tesla traditional dealerships really is a huge risk to ownership, but I knew that going into this relationship. Anyone who has driven with tape/plastic bag on your window and driven high-speed on the highway knows this is amazingly loud. It is one thing to have your car broken into, and something completely different to have this type of failure.

I've owned well over 75 cars over several decades, all different brands/models/price ranges and never experienced such a failure, and hope not to, but I can feel the frustration in the voice of the owner in the video, and honestly can't blame him.

Reactions: gundarx
Curious to know if this is a single instance or multiple people have this issue. Yeah I think problems like this or the roof flying off are huge quality issues, but I don’t base those one off issues as a problem for the overall quality of the MY.