TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rear door handle failure - attempted theft?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by henderrj, Apr 7, 2017.

1. henderrj

henderrj Member

I was in Boise visiting my aunt and went to the supercharger (no at home charging) and decided to wash the windows. That's when I noticed the rear door handle wasn't presenting. Oh great, no warranty. Went to the other side and - ah! same symptoms at the other rear door handle. It was almost freezing so at first i thought it might be that. But then today I took the door apart and looked at it - found a broken gear. And I remembered that the police came by because a neighbor reported a door open on the car.

Apparently I had left the front passenger door partway open so the car didn't lock. is there any way someone could have broken this geared piece by inappropriately manhandling the, well, handle? If so why didn't the front door get broken? Why did both break at once? What's this going to cost me?!! (Sorry, frustrated.)

Anyway, found it interesting. Thought you all might too. And, you might have some ideas.

Attached Files:

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You should be able to buy just the gear from Tesla. They actually repair a lot of the handles instead of replacing them now. (The last person I saw mention this a few days ago said they were out of warranty and Tesla sent a Ranger out to fix it at no cost.)

So you should at least call and check with them...

3. henderrj

henderrj Member

Thanks, I'll check to see if they'll do the repair first. If not and I can just buy those little gears, that would be great. Actually kind of fun to work on the car anyway.

4. Schurmanater

Schurmanater New Member

110 Fresh Meadow Rd, Wakefield, R.I. 02879
    I just had Tesla service look at my rear drivers side door handle which presents but doesn't open the door. They told me $1000 to replace!!! Yikes. Any alternative??

5. henderrj

henderrj Member

I have an appointment on the 16th. I'll let you know what happens then.

6. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Now I understand why the bulls are not worried about all the losses. Handles are their ticket to prosperity.

Let's assume 20k cars come out of warranty later this year. At $1000 a piece it is $4k per car or 80M revenue. And next year it will be twice or more.