Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door hinge bent slightly coming out of garage. Options?

gordo

Jan 16, 2015
CA
My son left the door open as he climbed into the back seat. Without realizing it, I backed up and clipped my wife's car on the way out. I stopped as soon as I heard contact, but the rear door hinge/pillar had already been pulled back slightly, maybe five degrees beyond where it normally stops. There is actually no obvious damage to the outside of the door, except for a minor scratch mark where the cars made contact, but the door doesn't close fully now without a stiff push because presumably the hinge itself or the connection point on the B pillar has been slightly bent.

I'm trying to figure out my best option here. I imagine body shops deal with this sort of thing all the time, but not sure if an aluminum body makes a difference -- or if the parts in question are even aluminum to start with. Should I consider Tesla collision repair? A Tesla-certified shop? Should I involve insurance or is this a fairly simple repair that wouldn't go much beyond my $1000 deductible? I'd be willing to pay maybe $1500 out of pocket to keep insurance out of it, but don't know if this fix is likely to go into the thousands...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC