Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door latch issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David_Cary

Dec 17, 2012
Cary, NC
So I have had an intermittent problem on driver's rear door latch (5/2015 build) where on pulling the interior or exterior handle, the door would not open 50% of the time - and then be stuck with window down until some time passed or the cable release was used. The window would fall but the latch would not release. I even started having trouble with the cable release not working or requiring extra effort. I greased the latch and nothing changed.

So I replaced the door latch. No change.
I replaced the door handle microswitch wiring harness - no change (and no visual issues with it).
My 2 remaining thoughts are door control module or wiring harness defect.

The door control module would be $300+ to change to a Gen 3 and the wiring harness defect I don't really want to know....

I really don't want to deal with Tesla for obvious reasons beyond financial. They could do the door handle by mobile so that is easy enough but is that $300 wasted?

Any thoughts or experience or any info on how these signals are sent?

The other thing that is weird is that a shutdown usually fixes it. I can't be sure but I just tested it again and it worked after the car went to sleep. It almost always works the next time I try but there is usually a drive so I figured it might move a bit. But even now - just sitting in garage, it worked after a shutdown. If it matters, I am on original MCU1 with 93k.

Last edited:
A bump and update.
Every single time I go to the car (its been 10 times) and open the back door first, it works. If I open the front door (ie driver's door) first, it won't open. It will require waiting for a shutdown to get working again.
Software? Fuse?

I'm having the same problem: When the front left door is wide open, the rear door won't open, only the window moves down a bit.
When the front door is only slightly open or closed, the rear door opens normally.

I suspect that the door harness of the front driver door is broken inside the door. The rear latch is released by the Door Controle Module which is located in the front door.

Attachments

• kabelbaum fld.PNG
    kabelbaum fld.PNG
    417.4 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
I'm having the same problem: When the front left door is wide open, the rear door won't open, only the window moves down a bit.
When the front door is only slightly open or closed, the rear door opens normally.

I suspect that the door harness of the front driver door is broken inside the door. The rear latch is released by the Door Controle Module which is located in the front door.
will the passenger side rear door control module be in the passenger front door? same color wires for latch open/close?

My RF flies open all the time now. My wife won't ride in car, took many times before it with stay shut. I open drivers door, RF opens. LR window wont work, changed 3 motors and master drivers panel. LR door handle won't work. Changed 3 of those.
I got broken wires or SW problem?