Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door manual emergency release modification (safety)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front doors have obvious manual release but I don't like Tesla's solution for the rear doors.

Tesla clearly saw this as a casual release in non-accident or low pressure situations where it is more an inconvenience if the actuator were to fail.
TBF, all cars with child locks disengage interior levers with no option to open except from the outside.
Electric locks, like Tesla, have manual releases that are more obvious and still hidden (usually hidden lower on the door panel, as a non-obvious lever like BMW)

solutions i've seen but don't like:
-exposed pull cord. It's simple but very exposed to accidental release.
Since Tesla's is in the door pocket, people will use that pocket to store stuff.
Grabbing a jacked, or snack (whatever) stuffed in there and grabbing that cord at speed... not good. Also, children.

-a more polished plastic plug in I saw on ebay with a tiny flip up handle. This is so finicky and not really understandable to a passenger, it's not much better than OEM.

I wanted something easy to see, easy to grab and universally understandable to a casual passenger that wants to quickly exit should the actuator fail.
Also, a priority to not be an obvious attraction to children or unintentional pull by use of the door pocket.

Fortunately, the auto industry already has emergency manual release levers.
I found one that would lay flush to floor, so the rubber cover would lay flat and would remain 'invisible', stock appearance.
Pull away the cover and an easy to grab handle that does not require explanation.
Bonus, glow in the dark so it can easily be used at night. Something I would say is impossible with the stock setup and a passenger not intimate with how the release works.

So, if you are mechanically inclined, this may be a good approach for you. Very simple since Tesla only has a simple, looped, metal cable and make a finishing plate (or mod the stock cover) to completely cover the opening if you wish.

*I am debating adding a label that says "PULL UP to release door" in the door pocket, so it's more clear that you have to pull up the rubber mat.
Again, the child's wandering curiosity issue... but may add that.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 116
for the pull-cord, you can use a long strip of velcro (some cord ties are made from velcro which are looped at the end). This will stick against the liner and is impossible for an accidental pull (you have to peel the velcro away from door fabric)

yes, stupid, dumb and dangerous design.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
The front doors have obvious manual release but I don't like Tesla's solution for the rear doors.

Tesla clearly saw this as a casual release in non-accident or low pressure situations where it is more an inconvenience if the actuator were to fail.
TBF, all cars with child locks disengage interior levers with no option to open except from the outside.
Electric locks, like Tesla, have manual releases that are more obvious and still hidden (usually hidden lower on the door panel, as a non-obvious lever like BMW)

Since Tesla's is in the door pocket, people will use that pocket to store stuff.
Grabbing a jacked, or snack (whatever) stuffed in there and grabbing that cord at speed... not good. Also, children.

-a more polished plastic plug in I saw on ebay with a tiny flip up handle. This is so finicky and not really understandable to a passenger, it's not much better than OEM.

I wanted something easy to see, easy to grab and universally understandable to a casual passenger that wants to quickly exit should the actuator fail.
Also, a priority to not be an obvious attraction to children or unintentional pull by use of the door pocket.

I found one that would lay flush to floor, so the rubber cover would lay flat and would remain 'invisible', stock appearance.
Pull away the cover and an easy to grab handle that does not require explanation.
Bonus, glow in the dark so it can easily be used at night. Something I would say is impossible with the stock setup and a passenger not intimate with how the release works.

So, if you are mechanically inclined, this may be a good approach for you. Very simple since Tesla only has a simple, looped, metal cable and make a finishing plate (or mod the stock cover) to completely cover the opening if you wish.

*I am debating adding a label that says "PULL UP to release door" in the door pocket, so it's more clear that you have to pull up the rubber mat.
Hi, How did you attach the glow-in-the-dark pull handle to the looped cable that’s in the door? I love your solution but I’m not sure how to securely attach it. I was thinking a zip tie, but it looks like the pull handle doesn’t have a hole in it.

Found this pull handle, but where did you get yours? Thanks for your help.

See posts above. Works great for me. Orange color helps people understand something is going to happen. I didn't use red because my car is red. Maybe red would be better for others but I thought orange also stands out more as something unusual in a dark interior.

Taught my young girls how to use it (using both hands and a shoulder). Makes me feel better about them being in the back.

Last edited: