Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door opening - Press+hold button and push door or Press once and push door.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do your rear doors require you to keep hold of the door open button until you have pushed the door or does it fully unlatch the door on a single press like the front doors.
For one of my rear doors (M3 21) it does the latter but the other it stays semi-latched and you have to hold the button down.
Most M3 owners I've spoken to tell me they have to hold button and push but one owner says both back doors work the same as the front (fully unlatches on one press).

I would much prefer it to work exactly the same as the front. I'd really love to know the reasoning behind this. I can't imagine it's to do with child safety as that's what child lock is for.

I just tried this with my 2021 M3 LR. My left rear is right on the edge. Sometimes it fully unlatches. Other times it remains latched and requires you to push and hold a second time while opening. Holding the the door closed, very slightly, when the button is pressed momentarily will cause it to partially open but stay latched. Pushing the door open, very slightly, when the button is pressed momentarily will leave the latch fully open.

My right rear door has more of a tendency to stay latched but behaves the same as the left when applying a slight opening or closing force.

This is while parked on level ground. I bet gravity would have an influence if the car were sitting tilted to the left or right. The alignment of the door and the springiness of the seals probably has some effect, as well.

The front doors are the same but need a fair bit more force holding them shut in order for them to partially open but stay latched.

Last edited:
Do your rear doors require you to keep hold of the door open button until you have pushed the door or does it fully unlatch the door on a single press like the front doors.
For one of my rear doors (M3 21) it does the latter but the other it stays semi-latched and you have to hold the button down.
Most M3 owners I've spoken to tell me they have to hold button and push but one owner says both back doors work the same as the front (fully unlatches on one press).

I would much prefer it to work exactly the same as the front. I'd really love to know the reasoning behind this. I can't imagine it's to do with child safety as that's what child lock is for.
I went thru some insanity over this with Tesla when I got my '20 M3LR. The rear doors did not work the same way as the front. I had to hold the button down to open the rear doors. If I did not, they would just open to the first latch. The mobile tech saw it and said he was not equipped to diagnose the issue. When I took it to the SC, they first said "normal operation". When I called BS on that, they actually the balls to tell me it was caused by the "open" overlays I had attached to each button. My response: "BZZZZTTTT! It was doing that before. Next?" I finally drove down there to show them. I was easily able to replicate the issue. The tech gets and and... wait for it... it works fine! WTF???? After changing places and getting the same results multiple times, he and I are looking at each other like "no way"! Finally he watches my hand motion to open the door and says "Oh! You have to hold the button down. It's a child safety thing"! He said he never saw someone open the door like that. The SC manager was there and I looked at him and said "training dude, training." At least he had the courtesy to smile in acknowledgement!

They showed me it's kind of an all-in-one motion thing in the back. Press the button and hold while and opening the door (at least until it clears both latches). If you do it that way, it's actually natural.

Sorry for the brain dump! I hope this helps.

:)

One of my rear doors (2020 Model 3) has to be pushed open while holding the button. The other sometimes operates easily like the front doors.

There are other threads like this, that, and a third thread that I'm having trouble finding again which links to a video showing how to loosen the door striker with a T45 Torx bit and adjust it up or down so the latch doesn't scrape it and bind up.

Quote:
Rather than being a deliberately programmed behavior to re-latch the rear doors, I believe this more likely simply has to do with the adjustment of the door strikers, the stiffness of the door seals, and possibly slight differences in the geometry of the rear doors that makes them more prone to fail to escape the latch when opened.

Mobile service is coming tomorrow for a steering column rattle, those rear door latches, and check wheel & tire alignment...

First, a PSA: The Tesla app is not entirely obvious about whether service is scheduled mobile or at a service center. :rolleyes:

The service rep was surprised when I showed him the problem, even after trying it. He asked if I installed any aftermarket mods -- yes, the "Open door" sticker. Later they tested several cars on the lot and decided this behavior is "characteristic." He said it's not an adjustment issue; maybe they tried adjusting it.

I'll call it a minor design problem.

Reactions: TPerth
A design problem indeed. They'll need to sort this out if the RoboTaxi service comes around, either that or they are expecting this to become a industry standard so in time everyone will eventually know how to open the back doors anyway. 😶
It'll be interesting to see how the new BMW EV (can't remember the model of SUV) work as I've seen they have the electric release. (might be a while though).

It really isn't good. When I give lifts to people their first instinct is to just press the button and let go and because the window drops a little they think they have activated the electric window then get confused, they then try again press the button let go then push the door and it catches, then they try and push it harder. Aaaggrr!!
Innovation should be intuitive, this is not!