TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear Door Sill plate/protection?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by amitmishra4, Jun 28, 2018.

1. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

My kids climb in and out and I am already starting to see scratches on the rear sill paint. IMHO Tesla should have put sill plates on the rear too, I think most other cars I have owned had them, especially with the premium upgrades. I have not seen many third party options either. The only option I have seen is to install 3M over the painted area, which seems tricky due to the curves if you really want full coverage.

So what does everyone do to protect their rear door sills? Has anyone found any nice plates?

2. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Member

I'm just going to put some PPF on there, but I agree that it would have been nice if they had included those standard.

~Paik

• Like x 1
  3. GoingVerde

GoingVerde Member

Hopefully this is not too hard to install
    RPM Tesla

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

Rather easy.

Sorry for the poor photo. Sunlit side of the car is blocked by another Model 3.
    IMG_20180629_092741.jpg

• Like x 1
  5. GoingVerde

GoingVerde Member

^ thanks for the confirmation. Was planning to pick those up to protect the car from the kids :)

6. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

Seems like it still leaves a small section exposed to shoe scrapes but better than nothing I guess. PPF on that entire area is probably the best solution as proposed above by @Paik4Life

7. mekberg

mekberg Member

I would agree.

8. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Member

@Kenriko also finished his door sills kit as well for $24 on Amazon (will be in stock in a week or so). It includes front and rear (not sure what the rear looks like but there are photos of the front in the thread).

Vendor - Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

I'm going to go with that for at least the short term since it's better than nothing, and people have really liked his work (center console and door kits) so far.

~Paik

• Like x 1
  9. Tuba

Tuba Member

Can I ask you guys a strange question. Do you on both front door sills? I only have on the passenger side which was very strange. Also noticed that my front fenders are not painted from the inside.. I mean when you open the driver door you can see the car is not red but white.. I love Tesla but I am disappointed if this is the quality I get for a $60k car.

10. Jongaudreault

Jongaudreault Member

Please post pictures

11. Tuba

Tuba Member

Pictures.of No door sill on dirver side and knocked down paint (seems they tried to adjust the doors after painting) as well as no paint on the front fender from the inside. Which is not a big deal but in the North east not sure that can cause it to rust faster.

Attached Files:

12. Jongaudreault

Jongaudreault Member

Your are suppose to have both door sills. One is missing... :(

13. Jongaudreault

Jongaudreault Member

Is there a hole to align/install it, or there’s noting and it is only supposed to me glued there?

14. navguy12

navguy12 Member

My white Model 3 built in May 2018 has very thin paint inside all the door jamb areas, one reason why I have rust proofed it with many cans of "Rust Check"..........

15. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I bought this 3M Scotch guard clear material
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFYCZE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This covered both the rear door sills as well as trunk/rear bumper loading area and still some pieces left. Thinking of doing front also just over aluminum decal.

16. Tuba

Tuba Member

No holes. Probably needs to be glued. Scheduled a service with Tesla.

You are nice. I was hoping a car at this price comes painted well :)

• Like x 1