Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Door Sill plate/protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My kids climb in and out and I am already starting to see scratches on the rear sill paint. IMHO Tesla should have put sill plates on the rear too, I think most other cars I have owned had them, especially with the premium upgrades. I have not seen many third party options either. The only option I have seen is to install 3M over the painted area, which seems tricky due to the curves if you really want full coverage.

So what does everyone do to protect their rear door sills? Has anyone found any nice plates?

Rather easy.

Sorry for the poor photo. Sunlit side of the car is blocked by another Model 3.
IMG_20180629_092741.jpg

Reactions: amitmishra4
@Kenriko also finished his door sills kit as well for $24 on Amazon (will be in stock in a week or so). It includes front and rear (not sure what the rear looks like but there are photos of the front in the thread).

Vendor - Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

I'm going to go with that for at least the short term since it's better than nothing, and people have really liked his work (center console and door kits) so far.

~Paik

Reactions: hoang51
Can I ask you guys a strange question. Do you on both front door sills? I only have on the passenger side which was very strange. Also noticed that my front fenders are not painted from the inside.. I mean when you open the driver door you can see the car is not red but white.. I love Tesla but I am disappointed if this is the quality I get for a $60k car.

Can I ask you guys a strange question. Do you on both front door sills? I only have on the passenger side which was very strange. Also noticed that my front fenders are not painted from the inside.. I mean when you open the driver door you can see the car is not red but white.. I love Tesla but I am disappointed if this is the quality I get for a $60k car.
Please post pictures

Pictures.of No door sill on dirver side and knocked down paint (seems they tried to adjust the doors after painting) as well as no paint on the front fender from the inside. Which is not a big deal but in the North east not sure that can cause it to rust faster.

Attachments

• 20180920_085118.jpg
    20180920_085118.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 20180929_213025.jpg
    20180929_213025.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 20180915_085854.jpg
    20180915_085854.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 366
Pictures.of No door sill on dirver side and knocked down paint (seems they tried to adjust the doors after painting) as well as no paint on the front fender from the inside. Which is not a big deal but in the North east not sure that can cause it to rust faster.
My white Model 3 built in May 2018 has very thin paint inside all the door jamb areas, one reason why I have rust proofed it with many cans of "Rust Check"..........

My kids climb in and out and I am already starting to see scratches on the rear sill paint. IMHO Tesla should have put sill plates on the rear too, I think most other cars I have owned had them, especially with the premium upgrades. I have not seen many third party options either. The only option I have seen is to install 3M over the painted area, which seems tricky due to the curves if you really want full coverage.

So what does everyone do to protect their rear door sills? Has anyone found any nice plates?

I bought this 3M Scotch guard clear material
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFYCZE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This covered both the rear door sills as well as trunk/rear bumper loading area and still some pieces left. Thinking of doing front also just over aluminum decal.

Is there a hole to align/install it, or there’s noting and it is only supposed to me glued there?
No holes. Probably needs to be glued. Scheduled a service with Tesla.

My white Model 3 built in May 2018 has very thin paint inside all the door jamb areas, one reason why I have rust proofed it with many cans of "Rust Check"..........
You are nice. I was hoping a car at this price comes painted well :)

Reactions: navguy12
I bought those ones as well. I cut two 3M PPF pieces to install after I install the plates. I just used the plate itself as a template. Before I install the plates I’m putting a piece of approx 5” x 10” PPF on the sill itself. I bought a 6” x 60” roll of it on Amazon. After test fitting the plates I found they will fit fit better if you very gently bend them very slightly so they fit flush. Otherwise the center of the plate doesn’t make proper contact with the sill.

E583B56C-AC43-4944-A5AD-FB30EAA02603.jpeg

Reactions: navguy12