Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door speakers no sound - 2013 with premium sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a while and always thought the rear had poor sound volume. Researching, it seemed to be a common problem. I do have the premium sound package in my 2013 S, so the rear hatch does have the speakers and have the dual amps. However today when I was working on the car and had the rear door panels off, I realized the rear door speakers literally made no sound. Put my hand to them, no vibrations. Ear right next to them, zero sound. I even pulled the speakers out to make sure they had no visible damage or disconnects on the terminals.

I previously had MCU1 and no settings on the audio system would produce sound from them. With MCU2 it's the same with the various immersive sound options (or off). Is this something known with the early Model S and premium? Does replacing the speakers with something else resolve this?

Thanks!

I've had my car for a while and always thought the rear had poor sound volume. Researching, it seemed to be a common problem. I do have the premium sound package in my 2013 S, so the rear hatch does have the speakers and have the dual amps. However today when I was working on the car and had the rear door panels off, I realized the rear door speakers literally made no sound. Put my hand to them, no vibrations. Ear right next to them, zero sound. I even pulled the speakers out to make sure they had no visible damage or disconnects on the terminals.

I previously had MCU1 and no settings on the audio system would produce sound from them. With MCU2 it's the same with the various immersive sound options (or off). Is this something known with the early Model S and premium? Does replacing the speakers with something else resolve this?

Thanks!
You properly have a burned speaker, normally if its the amp that fail all speaker would fail. I have also got my speaker burned as well. seems to be very common thing for Tesla Model S. I just bought a 3d printed mount and use a aftermarket Alpine S-65. Sound great to me

You properly have a burned speaker, normally if its the amp that fail all speaker would fail. I have also got my speaker burned as well. seems to be very common thing for Tesla Model S. I just bought a 3d printed mount and use a aftermarket Alpine S-65. Sound great to me
Any reference to other posts about this? I’m seeing the same with my P85 and it’s really frustrating that this isn’t documented anywhere. Would love any pointers towards what or how to replace to restore some rear sound.

Thanks for the reply franklee006. Bit late on the reply on my end.

olsch01 - I hadn't found much information on this myself, hence making this thread. I haven't had time to, but I plan to open up a frond and rear door on one side and - assuming the speakers are the same size - test to see if I get sound from the rear door speakers this way. At least that would give you an idea if it's the speaker or something else in the system.

TeslaTap has some good write up information on what speakers are installed on the older S, sizes etc. Good for reference if it is dead speakers or if you wanted to upgrade any in the system. Not sure if the forums will let a link through but: Audio Enhancements – TeslaTap

Reactions: DABESQ2