Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door stone damage (below PPF)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

I recently booked my model Y in for a service after noticing paint damage below the PPF on the rear door after 1 month of ownership. The PPF looks to have been placed about 1" too far up resulting in this happening. They have now responded on my service appt that this is not covered under warranty and priced the repair at £560! Where do I stand here as the next step will be escalating via a formal complaint. Their own website shows the PPF correctly positioned on the door as do various images online. Furious.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Image attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 266
The first MSP I looked at had this on both sides, looks like its under the clear coat and we thought the car had been resprayed. The car I wound up buying, a 2021 MSP where the entire car is PPF'ed looked super clean but after washing it I can see this lightly on drivers side and some on passenger. I know what rock chips look like but this actually looks like damage under the clear coat, or maybe its just chips that appears that way? Either way I've seen many people post the same pics here so it seems its on a ton of these cars.. Cannot believe people have started a class action against this

@cshy85 Did you ever get Tesla to cover this? I’m experiencing the same issue, my paint protection film is 1” from the edge resulting in paint chips after winter driving.
Yes! They initially tried to charge me saying the PPF cannot be installed to edge of door which is nonsense. Sent them a link to their own product which specifies to install to edge of door. They finally caved and sorted it. New PPF should not be applied for 2 weeks or will peel paint off once removed. Long story but my rear doors are in for their third respray next month!