Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door unlocks and opens when approaching the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS 85d 2015 has an issue with rear left door. When opening the car or approaching, at the time when all the door handles are coming out that one door is getting unlocked pops out completely 90% of the time. Even when parking, once handles are out this door is fully out too about an inch out. This is happening in the winter or after rain, car wash and most of the time in a dry day. We need to close the door all the time after each stop we make.
Did anyone have similar problem and how Tesla fixes it?
Thank you

If your car is under warranty just make an appointment and they will fix it. If out of warranty it's about 500 or so to have it replaced or you could DIY and save hundreds. Do a search and you will see a bunch of threads on the same topic. I've had 2 replaced at 500 each and the mobile ranger came to my work to take care of it. Very common issue.

I speculate that your door handle is extending excessively far, causing it to trigger the door opening switch. If you are out of warranty you can buy a kit from evtuning solutions for about $150 and rebuild the door handle yourself.

Yes, it’s still under warranty until the end of the year. I scheduled an appointment with Tesla for this coming week. Wasn’t sure if it will be fixed right away or we’d need to wait for parts.
Thank you very much.

I have the same thing but hilarioualy it only happens when its extremely hot outside or when it rains hard.... Even more hilarious is that I live in Florida
I've just been living with it right now, will eventually stop procrastinating and go get it fixed.

My MS 85d 2015 has an issue with rear left door. When opening the car or approaching, at the time when all the door handles are coming out that one door is getting unlocked pops out completely 90% of the time. Even when parking, once handles are out this door is fully out too about an inch out. This is happening in the winter or after rain, car wash and most of the time in a dry day. We need to close the door all the time after each stop we make.
Did anyone have similar problem and how Tesla fixes it?
Thank you

This happened to my 2017 MS75D. The SC fixed it under warranty by “replacing and recalibrating” the Door Handle controller. It took about an hour. Here’s the part number from my service order:

ASSEMBLY, DOOR HANDLE 3.0 CTLR (1069651-00-D)